Drunken Emu Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
Maintains Apple Cider flavor, crisp, but smooth with no hint of alcohol. Goes down very smooth, and is sweet like the original cider with a hint of cinnamon and an almost chocolate-apple aroma.

I have brewed up about 50 gallons of cider this year, and after 20 gallons of this recipe I came up with it surely is a winner in my book. I would love it if people gave this a go and let me know what they think.

A few notes before we begin:

- I have seen a few different OG readings over my batches, ranging from 1.040 to 1.075 so I'm estimating the average to be around 1.050. Note that yours may vary.

- Secondary is up to you. I leave it alone until the FG hits 1.000. You can go farther, or stop sooner.

Ok, let's get it on!

Equipment:

5 Gallon Carboy/Better Bottle/Pale
Airlock
Large Pot

Ingredients:

- 4 gallons of Apple Cider (UV Pasteurized, NO preservatives, unfiltered)
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2Lbs DARK Brown Sugar
- 1Lbs White Regular Sugar
- 6 Packets of Nestle Hot Chocolate (No Marshmallow's) (Trust me here, we are going on an adventure together)
- 4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 packet of Nottingham (I STRONGLY suggest Nottingham for this)

Dirty Work:

1) Pour 3 Gallons of Apple Cider into your primary.
2) Pour your last gallon of Apple Cider into the large pot. Add in the cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, white sugar, nutmeg and hot chocolate. Bring to a boil.
3) Boil for about 10 minutes, or as long as you need to properly dissolve all the ingredients. Remove from heat, allow to cool COMPLETELY.
4) Remove cinnamon sticks, discard.
5) Pour your glorious pot mixture into the primary, but save a little bit for washing the yeast down the funnel.
6) Pour your entire packet of yeast directly into the primary.
7) Use remaining pot mixture to wash yeast down funnel.

DO NOT.....DO NOT.....TOP OFF!!!! I promise if you do it will lead to bad things.

Get the airlock on there, I suggest filling with Vodka. Ferment at around 70F. Now sit back and let the minions do their work!! :mug::mug:

How long does this need to age before it's drinkable?

I have bottled it right out of the primary before, but as with anything else patience really does pay off. I like to rack it to the secondary and then just let it completely finish out and then I bottle it still.

If you are on a time crunch of the holidays there are better options, such as the "5 day sweet country cider" also listed here.

Just brewed a 1 gallon batch of this tonight, I was so intrigued! I may have even one-up-ed you on the WTH scale and added a pint and a half of blackberry cider, as well. I seem to remember having chocolate covered blackberries at some point in my life...:drunk:

I'll keep in touch and let you know how it turns out.

Sounds simple enough and interesting I will put it on the list.

Does it clear? I'm guessing no and theirs nothing wrong with that lol.

It clears slightly from how it goes in, but not much honestly. I like a cloudy cider, they seem to retain the most flavor.

i do not have any room to make this right now, but as soon as i have some room i am going to make this for sure!

i do not have any room to make this right now, but as soon as i have some room i am going to make this for sure!

:mug:

oh and what is the preferred temp for fermenting? i did not see it in the recipe.

Sorry i didn't see this sooner. I forgot to put it, I will edit the post. The ideal temp in my experience is 70F, but you will be ok anywhere between 65F and 75F. 75F is high, so if you get that high you should really use a blow off tube.

edit: My mistake, it is in the first post :)

ugh! you are right it is in the first post down there at the bottom...lol. i was looking for it up at the top where the ingredients and such are. either way im looking forward to making this in about 2-3 weeks i will have room and this is next on deck. :rockin:

Yea i forgot to put it in the initial post and I can't edit that part.

Looking forward to your first sip!

You used "cider" as your main ingredient. Maybe just a word thing, but is Apple Juice (like Tree Top) acceptable? It has no preservatives.

I use Apple Cider as the main ingredient, not apple juice. I have no idea what this would be like with apple juice. Personal opinion that most things made with juice are more like a wine than a cider.

I just popped the top on a bottle I capped back in September.....WOW, it really ages well!

Has gained a bit more apple note, maintained a nice crisp bite, not real hot.

I made some modifications to the order of things in your instructions. I haven't tried it yet, but to me it looks like it would work. My changes from the original are in blue:

1 (was 2): Leave three gallons of cider out to get to room temperature. Pour one gallon of Apple Cider into the large pot. Add in the cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, white sugar, nutmeg and hot chocolate. Bring to a boil.
2 (was 3): Boil for about 10 minutes, or as long as you need to properly dissolve all the ingredients. Remove from heat, allow to cool COMPLETELY.
3 (was 4): Remove cinnamon sticks, discard.
4 (was 1): Pour one gallon of Apple Cider into your primary.
5: Pour your glorious pot mixture into the primary. (Remove: “but save a little bit for washing the yeast down the funnel.”)
6: Pour your entire packet of yeast directly into the primary.
7: Use remaining cider (two gallons) to rinse pot and to wash yeast down funnel.

I made some modifications to the order of things in your instructions. I haven't tried it yet, but to me it looks like it would work. My changes from the original are in blue:

1 (was 2): Leave three gallons of cider out to get to room temperature. Pour one gallon of Apple Cider into the large pot. Add in the cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, white sugar, nutmeg and hot chocolate. Bring to a boil.
2 (was 3): Boil for about 10 minutes, or as long as you need to properly dissolve all the ingredients. Remove from heat, allow to cool COMPLETELY.
3 (was 4): Remove cinnamon sticks, discard.
4 (was 1): Pour one gallon of Apple Cider into your primary.
5: Pour your glorious pot mixture into the primary. (Remove: “but save a little bit for washing the yeast down the funnel.”)
6: Pour your entire packet of yeast directly into the primary.
7: Use remaining cider (two gallons) to rinse pot and to wash yeast down funnel.

Different strokes for different folks! Let me know how it turns out, can't imagine much different.

Ok, now how many people were at this party? :drunk:

14 or so

You are going to need to take precautions for bottle bombs, so while they carb be sure to store them in totes wrapped in towels.

You will use priming sugar and bottle like you would to carb anything else, BUT you have to pasteurize much faster than normal. I never let them go longer than 3-5 days before putting a stop to it. You can go longer or shorter based on experience.

I have a batch right now using Montratchet instead of Notty, and yoohoo powder instead of hot chocolate.

You are going to need to take precautions for bottle bombs, so while they carb be sure to store them in totes wrapped in towels.

You will use priming sugar and bottle like you would to carb anything else, BUT you have to pasteurize much faster than normal. I never let them go longer than 3-5 days before putting a stop to it. You can go longer or shorter based on experience.

OK so if i read this correctly i will bottle this normally but then only let it condition for 3-5 days until putting in fridge to stop it from carbing too much?

made a gallon of this, definately a little different, will give it a few months and see if it tastes better with time

OK so if i read this correctly i will bottle this normally but then only let it condition for 3-5 days until putting in fridge to stop it from carbing too much?

Yes. Wrap them in the towels in a tote or the bathtub so that if they explode, the glass does not fly all over and the cider doesn't either.

made a gallon of this, definately a little different, will give it a few months and see if it tastes better with time

SWEET! Let me know how it ages.

Just brewed a 1 gallon batch of this tonight, I was so intrigued! I may have even one-up-ed you on the WTH scale and added a pint and a half of blackberry cider, as well. I seem to remember having chocolate covered blackberries at some point in my life...:drunk:

I'll keep in touch and let you know how it turns out.

Any updates? :)

What would you recommend for carbing in a keg for this? I've never made a cider yet but would like to try this.

Back