Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Need some advice on Black IPA Extraxt kit?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
andoniu83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need some advice on Black IPA Extraxt kit?

Gonna be brewing a Northern Brewer Black IPA Extract Kit soon and was thinking of dry hopping with 1 oz. Centennial Hops and 4 oz. of Oak Chips at the same time after transferring to secondary.

I have never used oak chips before in a brew...does this sound like an idea that would work? I've dry hopped beers before, but is it recommended to dry hop and infuse oak flavor into a beer at the same time, or at different times? What would be a good type of oak chip to use, American, French, medium roast, dark roast?

Any advice would be helpful, this will be the first extract kit i have brewed without following the directions to a T, so I want to get this right so I don't throw the investment down the drain.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
aseg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Oak chips are pretty easy - American or French will do (or whatever you can find). You need about 1 cup/5 gallons beer. Boil chips, then add them to secondary for about 1 week. You don't want to go much longer than a week on the oak . . . and don't sweat it if it is really "oaky" - it will settle down with time, just like hops do.