Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tasting Starter?

Old 05-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Tasting Starter?

So I harvested yeast from a bottle of Lindemans Raspberry Lambic, its day two. My raspberry lambic is ready to be racked to secondary and more fruit added. At that point I want to add the lambic yeast.
Should I taste the starter to make sure its the right yeast and not just a different yeast strictly for bottling? What should I be tasting for? Because its starting in DME which is totally different from Raspberry Lambic how can I tell?
I guess it couldn't hurt, and if it doesn't work I can add storebought lambic yeast from Wy/White after. But I'd appreciate some help.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't worry about tasting the yeast. Ultimately it will be very different then the beer.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This thread's a blast from the past. I don't think this added anything to the beer - Lindemanns is hardly even a lambic, however I did the same thing with a Hanssens Oude Kriek Lambic and I think that's how acetobacter got into the batch. It's still aging, I'm going to add K-metabisulfate to kill everything(hopefully) and then blend this, extremely sour, batch with another. Definitely too sour now, I like sourness to be strong and add something...not to be the only thing you taste.