Twenty Minute Flameout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Twenty Minute Flameout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #11
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Indiana
Posts: 1,040
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


How would you compensate/figure IBU for this style of steep. I do this always on my hop styles, but have trouble figuring the IBU. I know I'm getting added bitterness with this addition because all my score sheets are getting deductions from being too hoppy for the style.
__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #12
ILBMF
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Northern Harford County, Maryland
Posts: 241
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Too hoppy can also mean too much hop aroma or flavor. I've read over and over there's no bitterness or IBU's added by flame out additions, but I would think you'd get some level of IBU gain from a flame out addition considering the temperature.
__________________
''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
mmonacel
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, NJ
Posts: 545
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
I've read over and over there's no bitterness or IBU's added by flame out additions, but I would think you'd get some level of IBU gain from a flame out addition considering the temperature.
That's right. According to JZ and Palmer, 175* is about the minimum for isomerization of alpha acids. So basically from flame out to 175* you're going to get additional IBUs from any late additions / whirlpool additions. Unfortunately, the various calculations that estimate IBUs (ie. Rager and Tinsenth) are all flawed in some way or another and don't take this into account very well so your software might not assign any IBUs, but you'll get them.
__________________
"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
tesilential
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Tampa, Florida
Posts: 307
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I have been doing tons of post boil additions lately. My last two beers used 6 ounces of hops after flameout.

I throw a couple ounces in right at flameout, mostly to get a little bitterness and flavor. Then throw in a couple more ounces at like 170*, these are just hot enough to extract the desired compounds without evaporating away. Finally I threw in a couple ounces at around 120* to simulate an accelerated dry hop.

I then dry hopped 2 ounces primary and will rack onto 2 more ounces in the keg.

HopLife Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
HopLife
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Eugene, OR
Posts: 283
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
I have been doing tons of post boil additions lately. My last two beers used 6 ounces of hops after flameout.

I throw a couple ounces in right at flameout, mostly to get a little bitterness and flavor. Then throw in a couple more ounces at like 170*, these are just hot enough to extract the desired compounds without evaporating away. Finally I threw in a couple ounces at around 120* to simulate an accelerated dry hop.

I then dry hopped 2 ounces primary and will rack onto 2 more ounces in the keg.
Wow, point taken. How were these beers. Are you describing a 5 gallon batch, or bigger. At 5 gallons that would be a ton of hops.
__________________
meh.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #16
tesilential
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Tampa, Florida
Posts: 307
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife

Wow, point taken. How were these beers. Are you describing a 5 gallon batch, or bigger. At 5 gallons that would be a ton of hops.
6 gal batches, 5.5 in bucket.

They also had a couple ounces of first wort hops for bittering . Keep in mind, aside from the FWH addition none of the hops were boiled at all.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #17
emjay
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,794
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel

That's right. According to JZ and Palmer, 175* is about the minimum for isomerization of alpha acids. So basically from flame out to 175* you're going to get additional IBUs from any late additions / whirlpool additions. Unfortunately, the various calculations that estimate IBUs (ie. Rager and Tinsenth) are all flawed in some way or another and don't take this into account very well so your software might not assign any IBUs, but you'll get them.
This is largely true, but one also needs to keep in mind that the rate of isomerization falls RAPIDLY, and that what happens in 5 minutes at 210 will likely take more than an hour at 180. This is why people are able to no-chill without just ending up with all bitterness and absolutely no flavor or aroma.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Stankonia
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
San Francisco, CA
Posts: 168
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
I have been doing tons of post boil additions lately. My last two beers used 6 ounces of hops after flameout.

I throw a couple ounces in right at flameout, mostly to get a little bitterness and flavor. Then throw in a couple more ounces at like 170*, these are just hot enough to extract the desired compounds without evaporating away. Finally I threw in a couple ounces at around 120* to simulate an accelerated dry hop.

I then dry hopped 2 ounces primary and will rack onto 2 more ounces in the keg.
I want to taste that...

Has anyone experienced problems with DMS while not cooling quickly? Also, I read that it is better to leave the kettle un-covered during cooling. Although some hop aroma compounds will leave the beer, but also DMS precursors are leaving when left uncovered??

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
ILBMF
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Northern Harford County, Maryland
Posts: 241
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
I have been doing tons of post boil additions lately. My last two beers used 6 ounces of hops after flameout.

I throw a couple ounces in right at flameout, mostly to get a little bitterness and flavor. Then throw in a couple more ounces at like 170*, these are just hot enough to extract the desired compounds without evaporating away. Finally I threw in a couple ounces at around 120* to simulate an accelerated dry hop.

I then dry hopped 2 ounces primary and will rack onto 2 more ounces in the keg.
I like the way that sounds. I drop a lot of hops in at flameout on IPA's and now I'm going to try something like what you are doing. I have a sickness for endless hop flavor/aroma. I can't ever seem to get enough. There's nothing like a great batch of nugget nectar which is similar to what I always aim for.
__________________
''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #20
bigbeergeek
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Posts: 4,089
Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts


I've been thinking of pumping chilled wort back into my kettle to whirlpool until the kettle temperature reaches 175*F, THEN adding my flameout hops. I'd imagine the very hot wort world effectively extract hop flavor and aroma, but by knocking the temperature down some 30+ degrees below boiling I'd preserve some delicious volitiles. Anyone doing this?
__________________
"Good people drink good beer." -HST

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flameout vs Dry Hopping SethMasterFlex General Techniques 8 06-21-2011 08:11 AM
24 IBU's at flameout??? EuBrew General Techniques 10 09-16-2009 06:59 PM
Flameout -- Definition? Pelikan General Techniques 6 03-11-2009 08:41 PM
Hops in pot after flameout? MGR72 General Techniques 8 08-25-2008 03:19 PM
Flameout or Dry Hop? skeeordye11 General Techniques 3 12-26-2007 05:05 PM


Forum Jump