Advice to future home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swank2323

Reaction score
Have been becoming interested in trying to brew my on beer for awhile and decided to check around google but quickly realized that there were so many options out there on kits ect. At first I ran across Mr. Beer and thought hey this sounds promising and did further research on their kits and the reviews were not so great.

I was curious if any long time brewers could give some advice. I would like to try a more traditional style of brewing that is going to be able to let me learn the basics but also give me room to grow and experiment which is one thing they said was tough to do with Mr. Beer kits. I don't mind spending a little for a kit but not a ton. This due to finical reasons because I go to school and have a family to take care of but old dad needs to have toys and have fun too. Thanks in advance
E. Sparks

Stay away from mr beer. It would be limiting after only a few weeks. If the plan is long term, I would still start kinda small. Keep in mind some of these folks have thousands tied up in their hobby. You can make great beer by buying a "deluxe starter kit" as most of the online retailers will call it. It is kinda expensive in the long run because many of the parts will be replaced when you move on to a larger setup, but jumping into the deep end is both overwhelming and expensive. The money spent here will be worth the practice and processes that you learn. I found mine on Craigslist for $100.

In the long term, to do a traditional style of brewing, you will probably end up doing 'all grain' brewing. It takes way longer, barely saves money, and requires twice the equipment, just like a real brewery. Actually, remember most breweries eventually go bankrupt, and at times you will feel this way too. On the plus side, losing the concentrated syrup will allow you complete control over the beer that you make. During this process the milled barley actually contributes starch to the mash which the enzymes present in the grain convert to sugars. It is all very fun, but there is a lot to learn, and that is why I think brewing with the starter kit is a pretty sound start.

Thanks yeah that's what I want is a kit that is close to traditional as possible to start and learn with and can add too and upgrade slowly.

There is nothing wrong with Mr Beer. Many brewers got their start from a Mr Beer kit. That being said it does have it's limitations as far as the volume of beer you can brew, and the complexity of the beer you can brew.

What you really need to decide is how dedicated you would be to brewing beer longer term. I see you do not list your location. I would recommend trying to locate some home brewers local to you or even attend a home brewers meeting. If you can watch the process it will help you understand if and how you wish to pursue it. Ideally I would try to find someone who is brewing with extract. That is the simpler way to make beer early in your brewing experience.

Brewing extract will eventually require some equipment and most home brew shops offer starter kits. A decent starter kit is going to run somewhere in the $100-150 dollar range depending on the type and amount of equipment. Your most important element as a starting brewer is probably the boil kettle. Buying a nice kettle with somewhere in the 8 gallon and up capacity will allow you to do full boils for 5 gallon batches, and if you choose to upgrade in the future the kettle will remain useable for all grain brewing.

Finding and hanging out with a brewer will go a long way to help you understand how you want to approach brewing and what you will need. Don't be afraid to approach a seasoned brewer and ask questions. It's harder to get us to shut up then it is to get us to start talking beer.

Cheers

I never thought about finding other brewers near me. I live in northern Kentucky across from Cincinnati which has a great restaurant with a in house brewery call Rockbottom brewery

In the long term, to do a traditional style of brewing, you will probably end up doing 'all grain' brewing. It takes way longer, barely saves money, and requires twice the equipment, just like a real brewery.

This is total nonsense.

What is the reason behind buying a "Starter kit"? Ultimately the kit includes stuff you never use and leaves out stuff you need.

Piece together your own stuff. (for all-grain)

You can make a MLT from a 10 gallon cooler, a braided line and a couple other things. You can boil water/wort in 1 aluminum kettle with no valves. (you'll need someone to help you pour out the liquid)You can ferment in a bucket. Bottles are cheap and reuseable. They can crush the grain where you buy it.

Buy the book by Jim Palmer called How to Brew Listen to the pod casts on The Brewing Network

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewing extract will help you learn the process and requires very little equipment. It can feel a bit more traditional using specialty steeping grains. To be honest, there are probably some people that went from nothing to AG (All Grain) right out of the gate. I would recommend starting slow and learn the process before jumping into that. You can make very good beer brewing extract with little equipment. You can start with under $100 bucks in equipment. Pot (doesn't have to be a huge expensive one...people boil in 3 gallon pots), bucket, airlock, and a hydrometer is about the BASIC stuff you need. Of course the more stuff you get equipment wise will just help make the process easier. But honestly, learn the process and brew some great beer. If you dig the process and your end product, you can then make the leap to AG. The equipment you bought for extract won't go to waste.

It really all just comes down to what you want to do. Jump into hundreds of dollars for an AG setup (also depends on how handy you are, that will help cut costs for everything in this hobby) , or just brew some beer to see if you like it first.

+1 You could start with AG right off the bat, but doing a couple of extract beers can help you practice the basic process without at much "work". If you think you understand how the mash works, though. There is no reason not to go AG. You could do Brew-in-a-bag with practically the same equipment that a full boil extract batch requires.

I'd start with a basic equipment kit and give it a try. They don't usually come with a kettle. You use your own large kettle and add top up water to get 5 gallons.

If you like making beer, you can buy a larger kettle and burner to boil the full 5 gallons later.

My advice would be 1) start reading HBT (check!) and 2) don't be afraid to make mistakes.

So many new brewers I know want the first batch to be perfect and obsess over everything. Well, sometimes it doesn't work out that way and you might make some lousy batches as a noob. But, in my experience, my lousy batches were great learning experiences because they forced me to learn more about the process and learn how to make future batches better.

You can check out Midwestsupplies.com as well. They have a basic starter kit for about $65. They have options that can be added on that up the cost,but give extras like beer kits,brew kettle,wort chiller,etc.
The also have Fed-Ex home delivery as their 2nd cheapest shipping option. That's what I use,as it's really quick. And my stuff gets to me in perfect condition. They also have a paypal option if you have an account. That gives you legal recourse,should you need it. I never did with them,so it's just peace of mind for me.

unionrdr said:
You can check out Midwestsupplies.com as well. They have a basic starter kit for about $65. They have options that can be added on that up the cost,but give extras like beer kits,brew kettle,wort chiller,etc.
The also have Fed-Ex home delivery as their 2nd cheapest shipping option. That's what I use,as it's really quick. And my stuff gets to me in perfect condition. They also have a paypal option if you have an account. That gives you legal recourse,should you need it. I never did with them,so it's just peace of mind for me.

+1 also my wife is always seeing good groupons for starter kits from Midwest

JonM said:
My advice would be 1) start reading HBT (check!) and 2) don't be afraid to make mistakes.

So many new brewers I know want the first batch to be perfect and obsess over everything. Well, sometimes it doesn't work out that way and you might make some lousy batches as a noob. But, in my experience, my lousy batches were great learning experiences because they forced me to learn more about the process and learn how to make future batches better.

Agreed. I worried way too much on my first batch for no reason. Relaxing is an important ingredient.

I have made a few batches that haven't been what I have wanted. On the other hand, I made some that were awesome. I think the thing I love about brewing is the pursuit of the next step whether it be researching/refining my process or a new gadget. If you want to learn how to brew, you are in the right place.

I say get a basic starter kit and keep reading HBT but remember...this hobby is addictive!

Oh, and I'll repeat the same advice that the LHBS guy gave me when I got my first kit: the hoppiness of a hoppy IPA covers up a lot of imperfections.

Being relatively new myself, I would recommend a good book I have been reading called "The Complete Joy of HomeBrewing." It gives you a step by step walkthrough on how to brew beer in all different forms (all grain, extract, combination, etc.) Not only that, it also gives basic recipes for a vast amount of different beers. I will also agree on finding locals who homebrew because reading is nothing compared to experience (but damn does the reading help fill in all the nooks and crannies.) Also, I would say it is not a bad thing to start with some recipes using extract to help get the feel of brewing. Everyone here is amazingly helpful, so always read up on the forums and ask questions. As for equipment, I would recommend going to a local home brew shop and talk to the workers there. Nine out of ten times, they will be extremely knowledgable and get you started with what you need and none of the extra. Hahah, last time I went into my homebrew shop he gave me a sample of some liquor one of his regulars makes. Damn was it good. Hope this helps man. Most of all, welcome to an awesome and fun hobby. Cheers!:mug:

Start with a basic kit and an extract kit. That way you can learn the process and decide if you want to brew beer without spending a lot of money. Leave all grain brewing for the future after you get a few brews under your belt.

Thank you all so much I can't wait to start brewing in the next few months hopefully. I can't wait to learn the basics and get a good setup to start experimenting and let my creative juices flows.

All I can say is; Free food grade buckets from your local bakery as fermenting vessels. They throw the things away every day! From little 1gal ones all the way up to 6gal.. I have a few that I use... Just make sure it's No. 2 HDPE plastic. I just go to my local grocery store bakery, buy a doughnut or two, and ask for any buckets they might be getting ready to throw away. Sometimes the quality isn't good enough to ferment in, so I just use those to store grains or starsan or whatever..

I say find yourself a buddy, friend, brother, someone who might share an interest in brewing. Learn it together, decide how big you want to go in, share the financial impact for start-up and get after it. That's what we did, although we jumped in pretty big, spent a bunch of money for kegerator, cornys, 15 gal brewpot, MLT, HLT did all-grain from the first batch. But, we also spent some time researching felt somewhat comfortable. We brewed our 1st AG July 4th, have brewed (13) 5-gal batches, including oak aged stout and our first cider. Fortunately we have not had a bad batch or bad beer, and we are starting to experiment a little more as we go. Its a blast, great to someone to share the whole experience with.

I second the freebie buckets. If you have a Krispy Kreme around they'll have stacks of them sitting by the back door or the dumpster.

Basic kits are fine. You can learn alot doing extract kits, like focusing on yeast health and fermentation temps, then at some point go all grain if you want. The extracts cut out some of the complexity that all-grain adds (hitting mash temps, grain crushing etc).
You can make some really great beers in just a plastc bucket.

There are a ton of videos on youtube for both all-grain and extract brewing. I felt alot more confident about my first brewday after watching a bunch of those videos.

I don't understand why everyone says AG brewing is so much more expensive than extract.

I have never extract brewed. But the way I understand it the only thing extra, equipment wise, would be the mash tun. Depending on how you make it, it's going to be less than $60. The kettle I boil my wort with is what I use to heat my strike water. I batch sparge. I do use a 5 gallon drink cooler to hold my sparge water at temp but sparge water doesn't have to be hot.

The only extra time is the 60 min mash, 10-15 min sparge, and the time it takes to heat up strike water.

It's not that complicated, time consuming or expensive as some make it out to be

Basic kits are fine. You can learn alot doing extract kits, like focusing on yeast health and fermentation temps, then at some point go all grain if you want. The extracts cut out some of the complexity that all-grain adds (hitting mash temps, grain crushing etc).
You can make some really great beers in just a plastc bucket.

There are a ton of videos on youtube for both all-grain and extract brewing. I felt alot more confident about my first brewday after watching a bunch of those videos.

C'mon man. " The extracts cut out some of the complexity that all-grain adds (hitting mash temps, grain crushing etc)." Really?

I mean, extract brew because you want to, not because it's less complicated.

Hey, welcome to HBT! This place is awesome. There is a ton of information to be found here. Many folks have already given you some great advice, so I don't know if I can throw anything in worth a darn, but I'll try. You'll notice that I became a member here a few years ago, however I did not start actually brewing until this past summer. When I first started reading here, I became very overwhelmed. Like I said, there is a wealth of information on this board, but it can be very cumbersome to try and sort through it all and figure out all the ins and outs. So, I say, take your time, soak in all the information and have fun! Also, I know it's been stated several times, but read John Palmers book, or at least the website How to Brew - By John Palmer It will help. Again, have fun, this is the best hobby ever. :mug:

Everybody has a different story about how they progressed from virgin to expert. Here's mine.

I started with a Brewer's best deluxe equipment kit and a Brewer's best extract ingredients kit. I have since added parts and peices to make my brew day less stressful, and so will you. I have completed 10 batches, all extract. After 3, i began using recipies from this site instead of the ingredients kits. Before I bought any equipment, I purchased and read (several times) How to Brew by John Palmer. To this day I still refer to it for some of the more arcane details if the process. The first section is a detailed description of a brew day, and is what you need to feel comfortable with before you heat your first batch of water. Good luck.

I became interested in 1996 from a co-worker. He explained the process, I read "the Complete Joy" Than went to my LHBS and bought a starter kit. Built up for there!!!

Most important for flexibility to go all-grain without purchasing replacements will be your brew kettle. Get a 9 gallon capacity and you are free to do extract, partials, or all grain and never have to change. If you want to start extract do so, then when you want to go all-grain all you'll need is the cooler mash tun.

This is total nonsense.

What is the reason behind buying a "Starter kit"? Ultimately the kit includes stuff you never use and leaves out stuff you need.

Piece together your own stuff. (for all-grain)

You can make a MLT from a 10 gallon cooler, a braided line and a couple other things. You can boil water/wort in 1 aluminum kettle with no valves. (you'll need someone to help you pour out the liquid)You can ferment in a bucket. Bottles are cheap and reuseable. They can crush the grain where you buy it.

Buy the book by Jim Palmer called How to Brew Listen to the pod casts on The Brewing Network

Many people starting out are not aware of what equipment is needed or if they even will want to continue brewing. Starter kits are good for people who are curious about the hobby and are on a budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kits including things you never use? Like what? I use everything that was in my brewing kit. I just have so many glass bottles now that I don't use the PET's as much. Just curious as to what these things might be in some cases? Maybe some kits I haven't seen?...

Kits including things you never use? Like what? I use everything that was in my brewing kit. I just have so many glass bottles now that I don't use the PET's as much. Just curious as to what these things might be in some cases? Maybe some kits I haven't seen?...

a begining brewer does not need a 5 gal glass carboy. That's $30 alone. That money could be used to a good kettle or burner or funnel or scale that is not included. The carboy brush. $5 could be used towards a nice steel spoon that is not included

Then in the "Upgraded" kit they include 2 5 gallon glass carboy's

So let's say I go for the starter kit route for now what is some opinions on a good kit. We have pretty much crossed off the Mr. Beer kits. If I choose to build my own starter kit what kinds of things will I need to buy for the kit. I'll even take a good book or site that explains these things. Sorry for being a noob and asking for so much but I really don't know what I need otherwise I would google it myself.

Many people starting out are not aware of what equipment is needed or if they even will want to continue brewing. Starter kits are good for people who are curious about the hobby and are on a budget.

Agreed. Everything in the kits do generally get used. My buddy bought a kit and uses all the hardware, he ended up buying more but that always comes with the hobby. Also, starting with extract is not a bad idea because it's always good to ease into beer brewing. A few guys I know that have been brewing beer for years actually advised me to do such. Don't ever let anyone discourage you and hey, relax and enjoy the ride! Cheers!:mug:

Also, if you want an awesome book, check out "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing." Hope this helps, as it helped me greatly!

a begining brewer does not need a 5 gal glass carboy. That's $30 alone. That money could be used to a good kettle or burner or funnel or scale that is not included. The carboy brush. $5 could be used towards a nice steel spoon that is not included

Then in the "Upgraded" kit they include 2 5 gallon glass carboy's

I have to agree on the 5G carboy. Likely wouldn't use it myself,so I opted out of that one. I like the plastic spoons better myself. Not as easy to scratch or bang things up as with a steel spoon. But that's my opinion/preference. And the carboy brush would better be replaced with that drill operated one that's advertised on here. Saw that one used by Gary on Home Brewer TV. Thought that was better. Maybe not on plastic ones though.

So let's say I go for the starter kit route for now what is some opinions on a good kit. We have pretty much crossed off the Mr. Beer kits. If I choose to build my own starter kit what kinds of things will I need to buy for the kit. I'll even take a good book or site that explains these things. Sorry for being a noob and asking for so much but I really don't know what I need otherwise I would google it myself.

I'm a noob myself (5, maybe 6 batches), but I think your basic self-made starter kit would be:

• 5-gallon* pot for brewing
  • Fermenting bucket/Ale Pail
  • Airlock
  • Thermometer
  • Hydrometer
  • Metal spoon for the stirring (I just use my all-purpose kitchen spoon)

Then, for bottling, you'd need:

• Bottling bucket (with spigot)
  • Bottling wand
  • Some tubing

*I've only done extract brews with 1.5- and 3-gallon boils, your mileage may vary.

You can look at the kits online and see what is in them. I guess it is difficult at first because the process hasn't unfolded in front of you, so you don't know what you need and when you need it.

From start to finish, doing extract, you'd need the following:

Large brew kettle (stainless steel pot)
Long spoon
Fermenting bucket (6 gallon plastic tub)
Bucket Lid
Airlock
Bottling bucket with spigot and racking tubes
Bottle capper
Bottles
liquid thermometer

For all-grain:
Cooler MLT (search for Rubbermaid cooler MLT)
9 gallon brew kettle
long spoon
Propane burner
Fermenting bucket
Lid
Airlock
Bottling Bucket with spigot and tubes
bottle capper
bottles
liquid thermometer

As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you make the investment in a large brew kettle from the beginning, you give yourself the freedom to do extract, partial, or all grain without having to buy something again or upgrade it. The cooler MLT can be made for about 50 or 60 bucks and would be the only thing you would need in addition to the larger brew kettle.

I don't understand why everyone says AG brewing is so much more expensive than extract.

I have never extract brewed. But the way I understand it the only thing extra, equipment wise, would be the mash tun. Depending on how you make it, it's going to be less than $60. The kettle I boil my wort with is what I use to heat my strike water. I batch sparge. I do use a 5 gallon drink cooler to hold my sparge water at temp but sparge water doesn't have to be hot.

The only extra time is the 60 min mash, 10-15 min sparge, and the time it takes to heat up strike water.

It's not that complicated, time consuming or expensive as some make it out to be

You went the expensive route if you had to spend $60 to go all grain. I added a pair of paint strainer bags and I was ready had I been willing to accept somebody else crushing the grain. I wanted complete control so I added a cheap grain mill (about $20) and made my first batch, only a 2 1/2 gallon size because I didn't want to go bigger until I knew it would work. There isn't any reason I couldn't have continued with that but once I knew it worked well, I "had" to upgrade to a larger pot to do the full volume boil for a 5 gallon batch.

Search out "brew in a bag" or "BIAB on this forum to see how I went all grain.

My advice would be...don't listen to any of us. To brew beer, you need
1) a boil pot
2) a fermentation vessel
3) something to store the finished beer
4)a way to get your beer from one to the other

I did an experiment a few months ago, to see how cheaply you could start. By scrounging, and shopping sales, you could do your first extract brew for $17, plus ingredients.

A lot of good advice so far concerning what equipment is needed and I for one like to keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible.

A good start is extract as the mashing process can seem overwhelming and you do need a mash tun ($5 igloo for mine plus $20 for the valve and screen) and you need a fairly large kettle (8 gal. minimum got mine 13 gallon for $39+$24 to convert) to do full boils. In reality, all I needed to invest to go all grain was another $90 or so.

An extract clone of Fat Tire cost me $39.00 in supplies. The extact same beer converted to all grain, $23.00 in supplies. If you compare all grain to extract the cost savings in the long run will go to all grain. If you compare the ease of all grain to extract, well, extract does not require a mash so you can figure that one out!

Craigslist is your friend, use him when ever possible (always be careful though)!! When you cannot find it cheap enough, try to make it yourself!! Example, a storebought mash paddle can run $50.00 or more. ~$7.00 for a nice oak plank from Lowes and I can make my own mash paddle!

Do not feel overwhelmed by extract or all grain brewing, it really is not that difficult!!

Good luck

C'mon man. " The extracts cut out some of the complexity that all-grain adds (hitting mash temps, grain crushing etc)." Really?

I mean, extract brew because you want to, not because it's less complicated.

Whats with the all the hate.

He said he hasnt brewed before, and Im only saying it may be easier to walk before you run. There is a lot of stuff going on during the mash that he wont have to worry about if he starts with extracts. Could he handle doing all grain right off, yes, im sure he could.

What I was saying is it less inimidating to a new brewer and it would allow him time to focus on more important things to learn in my opinion, like yeast health and fermentation temps.

Back