Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adding fruit to Northern Brewer's Cream Ale Kit

Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
toddbrink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding fruit to Northern Brewer's Cream Ale Kit

Hello

I have made Northern Brewers Cream ale kit a few times and really enjoy it. My wife suggested that it might be a good kit to try and add fruit too (blue berries or peaches maybe). I dont want to use extracts for the fruit flavor.

What is the best way for me to go about this?

Thanks
Todd

Old 12-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
smalliewader
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Search. There are hundreds of posts on how to add fruit.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Oregon fruit puree in the secondary for 1-2 weeks all the way...my first all grain beer was a raspberry brown for SWMBO & it took a bronze medal in a competition I entered it in.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Pilotpip
Recipes 

Great kit for friends and family that like lighter beers. I brew it with half the hops in the kit (which gives me an extra oz of Cascade for the hoppy stuff).

I just brewed it and set up an experiment with my GF. We took 10 bottles and added various levels of peach and vanilla extract. Recording which one is which. We will then taste test them and if she likes one we'll up it to a 5 gallon batch.

I hope it works. Experimentation is one of the many fun aspects of this hobby, right?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
toddbrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalliewader
Search. There are hundreds of posts on how to add fruit.
I did search o-helpful sage. But there wasn't anything on what I was looking for. But hey thanks for taking the time to type out the obvious.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
toddbrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownBrewer
Oregon fruit puree in the secondary for 1-2 weeks all the way...my first all grain beer was a raspberry brown for SWMBO & it took a bronze medal in a competition I entered it in.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
Thank you!

Do I have to worry about pasteurizing?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
toddbrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotpip
Great kit for friends and family that like lighter beers. I brew it with half the hops in the kit (which gives me an extra oz of Cascade for the hoppy stuff).

I just brewed it and set up an experiment with my GF. We took 10 bottles and added various levels of peach and vanilla extract. Recording which one is which. We will then taste test them and if she likes one we'll up it to a 5 gallon batch.

I hope it works. Experimentation is one of the many fun aspects of this hobby, right?
Thanks for the tip! Let me know what works best for you. That's sounds like a great combo.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
smalliewader
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbrink View Post
I did search o-helpful sage. But there wasn't anything on what I was looking for. But hey thanks for taking the time to type out the obvious.
Impossible. This board has probably the best search function on the web. In fact, if you even google anything beer related, you'll come up with threads from HBT.

Odd, because I just searched "adding fruit to beer" and got over 10 pages of threads on, gasp...adding fruit to beer. Everything you need to know, right there in one simple search. I guess some people want everything handed right to them though.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
toddbrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalliewader

Impossible. This board has probably the best search function on the web. In fact, if you even google anything beer related, you'll come up with threads from HBT.

Odd, because I just searched "adding fruit to beer" and got over 10 pages of threads on, gasp...adding fruit to beer. Everything you need to know, right there in one simple search. I guess some people want everything handed right to them though.
I was talking specifically about Northern Brewers Cream Ale Extract kit. That's why I spelled it out.

Here don't read posts if they piss you off or give me your email so I can clear my questions with you.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Im_Lars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have brewed this recipe many times (I call it my house brew). I added a hop sock with two cups of shaved orange rinds for two weeks in the secondary. I also brewed a batch using citra hops and a extra pound of flaked oats, That one was very good.