Makgeolli (Korean Rice Wine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geniz

Reaction score
Makgeolli

1kg rice
250 g nuruk
2L water
1 pack Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast

1.Wash. soak and steam rice

2.Cool rice to room temperature

3.Mix nuruk with just enough warm water to dissolve and break up clumps
Add nuruk to rice and mix thoroughly. Make sure rice is cool, do not add nuruk to hot rice.

4. Place rice/nuruk mixture in wide mouthed jar. Add water and yeast. Stir until incorporated. Cover loosely with clean cloth

5. Store in warm (70-80 deg F) dark place and allow to ferment for 5-7 days or until primary fermentation has stopped. Stir once or twice daily for the first 5 days to promote yeast activity

6. When primary fermentation is complete, strain liquid from spent rice solids. Dilute raw makgeolli with water 3 parts makgeolli to 2 parts water.
Store in plastic soda bottles

7. If you want it sweet, backsweeten with 1tbs table sugar/liter.

8. Store in fridge to prevent bottle bombs.

Detailed instructions can be found in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/great-makgeolli-experiment-283608/

Enjoy!

Update:

Just made another batch and decreased the amount of nuruk just a bit:

Used:
200g Nuruk
1kg glutenous rice
2L water

This stuff came out even better than the original batch. Residual sweetness from the glutenous rice and just a hint of sourness.

Can't edit the original post, but I think that this recipe with these proportions is what I'll use from now on.

jimijaymz said:
Where did you get the Nuruk? If you made it yourself how did you do it?

I got it at a local Asian market. In this area they have a chain called H- Mart.

I'm thinking about making a makegeolli and I was wondering why all the recipes have the primary fermentation done in an open jar with only a cloth covering. I've only brewed beer and cider before and am pretty ignorant about wine and rice-wine making. Why not use a fermenting bucket with an airlock? Also is there any problem with putting the final product in a standard glass beer bottle?

any help is a appreciated

I'm thinking about making a makegeolli and I was wondering why all the recipes have the primary fermentation done in an open jar with only a cloth covering. I've only brewed beer and cider before and am pretty ignorant about wine and rice-wine making. Why not use a fermenting bucket with an airlock? Also is there any problem with putting the final product in a standard glass beer bottle?

any help is a appreciated

You can ferment in a ferm bucket if you like. Unlike beer and cider making you want to stir the makgeolli daily while it ferments. The nice thing about fermenting in a clear jar is that its easy to see when the rice cap falls.

You don't want to use regular glass bottles for the makgeolli as it continues to ferment. If you are not careful you'll develop bottle bombs. I keep mine in a plastic soda bottle in the fridge and vent it daily.

I'm on day 3 of my Makgeolli using a combination of a few recipes I found on the internet (this being one of them)

I steamed my rice in a bamboo steamer for an hour, then let it cool for an hour. During these two processes it dried out the rice. So when I added the water in the fermentation vessel, the rice absorbed most of the liquid.

Is this normal? Or did I mix up cooking the rice?
Further, I don't have a rice chunk on top of liquid, but rather a homogenous liquid and soft rice mixture. Is this normal as well? Mine looks nothing like the pictures I have seen

Thanks for any help

Have you tried with oatmeal?

I think that would do work, but am not so sure because of its relatively lower carbohydrate and more protein.

Back