Rye IPA Hops Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSnrub

Reaction score
I am making a rye IPA with lots of hops and rye (at least 25%). I have Chinook hops on hand and will definitely be using them for bittering, and I also definitely want to use some Amarillo for flavor/aroma.

My question is: would you suggest flavoring exclusively with Amarillo, or would it be better to combine it with another variety? If the latter, which variety and in what proportions? As I mentioned above, I have Chinook on hand; I also have some Willamette, so if either of those would work well that would be nice.

Thanks!

I just made a Rye IPA with:
0.5 oz Cascade 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade 2 min
0.5 oz Amarillo 2 min
0.5 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop

Came out great. I think Amarillo combines nicely with Simcoe, but also with a spicier cascade as well.

I did mine with Magnum for bittereing, and then Cascade and Amarillo for flavor and aroma.. Tastes great.

I recently brewed this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/ddh-rye-ipa-284504/

1.00 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.75 oz Centennial (15 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold (15 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (10 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (10 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (0 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (0 min)

Dry hop #1 in secondary 10 days

1.00 oz Simcoe
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold
1.00 oz Centennial

Dry hop #2 keg hops

1.00 oz Simcoe
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold
1.00 oz Centennial

It's fantastic

I love Willamette for a rye IPA. I did a 10 gallon rye IPA with 22oz of Willamette, it was really good. Mostly I use Willamette because I get them at a great price but they do happen to go well with a rye IPA.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. If I am to use either Chinook or Willamette along with the Amarillo, what proportions would you recommend?

In my IPA's I usually bitter with about an Ounce, give or take depending on the AA%. Then I like to do 1/2oz or so additions every 5 minutes starting at 25 Minutes. Maybe something like this would work for you...

1oz Chinook @ 60
1/2oz Amarillo @ 25
1/2oz Willamette@ 20
1/2oz Chinook @ 15
1/2oz Willamette @10
1/2oz Chinook @ 5
1/2 - 1oz Amarillo @ FO

Then Dry hop with all three, 2-3 oz total in the keg,if you keg. The only problem might be that the Willamette could get buried in there a bit, so you could up those additions to 1oz or move them to later in the boil. I've had good success with this type of hop schedule.

Use Chinook.
Use Chinook.
Use Chinook.

I recently dry hopped a rye pale with a Chinook and it paired perfectly with the spicy rye. HIGHLY recommend it for flavor/aroma. I suggest using it either as a dry hop and/or a late aroma addition.

Back