alpha and beta acid - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > alpha and beta acid

Old 12-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
joeyrod
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys I got my package of simco and its a alpha acid if 14 & a beta of 3.8%.. my question is what dose beta mean and how do I use that information when brewing? What the difference. Thanks for everyones input

Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
brandonhagen1

Recipes 

Mar 2011
springfield, oregon
Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Hops try this might help you understand better

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
joeyrod
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help

Old 12-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Rev2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Bayonne, NJ
Liked 335 Times on 239 Posts

Unless I've missed something, a web browser "Find in Page" doesn't come up with any mention of the beta aspect on the hop pages on How to Brew. I'm curious myself as to the beta aspect, though I will just Google it now

*EDIT - well that was fast. I did a search and found a wiki on hops that does a good just describing the beta aspect. This part is the quickest most useful though the article talked a bit more on it:

"Beta acids do not isomerize during the boil of wort, and have a negligible effect on beer taste. Instead, they contribute to beer's bitter aroma, and high beta acid hop varieties are often added at the end of the wort boil for aroma. Beta acids may oxidize into compounds that can give beer off-flavors of rotten vegetables or cooked corn."

Rev.

IanNewton84 Likes This