Done brewing for a bit... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Done brewing for a bit...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Ó Flannagáin
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 2,998
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts



Guess I'm gonna have to take a break. 65 gals since the end of January.

Moving in August overseas, so can't take my beer with me. I have close to 15 gals bottled and 5 gals in a secondary, bottling this week sometime.

I really don't want to take a break, but my father's coming to visit for a few weeks and I won't be drinking much at all during that time, its getting hot as hell, bout to be too hot for even hefes and wits and gonna have to start packing up in a month or so. So, taking my first brewing hiatus.

Really sucks, I'm starting to get real good too. I have a lot of leftover ingredients, so I might be able to make another batch or two in June, but I've been doing 3 or 4 brews a month lately. Gotta find new hobby for a bit. Any suggestions?




 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
krispy d
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Old Saybrook CT
Posts: 609
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


drinking???


__________________
On Tap
CT Common Steam Beer
Guest Tap
Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??


“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
ayrton
 
ayrton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
South Jersey
Posts: 809
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
Guess I'm gonna have to take a break. 65 gals since the end of January.

Moving in August overseas, so can't take my beer with me. I have close to 15 gals bottled and 5 gals in a secondary, bottling this week sometime.

I really don't want to take a break, but my father's coming to visit for a few weeks and I won't be drinking much at all during that time, its getting hot as hell, bout to be too hot for even hefes and wits and gonna have to start packing up in a month or so. So, taking my first brewing hiatus.

Really sucks, I'm starting to get real good too. I have a lot of leftover ingredients, so I might be able to make another batch or two in June, but I've been doing 3 or 4 brews a month lately. Gotta find another hobby for a bit. Any suggestions?
WTF? I'm in an absolutely identical position. I'm moving abroad in August and need to take it easy on the brewing. At least I can still buy beer.
__________________
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary 1: None
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


My other hobbies are gardening, food, mushroom hunting.

Maybe take up cycling, and then you could burn off the extra calories from drinking up the beer?
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Ó Flannagáin
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 2,998
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy d
drinking???
I said a NEW hobby.




...

as far as cycling, not a bad idea. I have a nice offroad bike, maybe I should find some trails around here.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Waldo
 
Waldo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
N.E. Iowa
Posts: 283
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
I said a NEW hobby.




...

as far as cycling, not a bad idea. I have a nice offroad bike, maybe I should find some trails around here.
Good plan, did you know that a lot of hard core cyclist drink a couple of beers after a big ride to replace the carbs they burned, it really is a great after ride drink. Just don't drink it before riding, it really zaps your wind.
__________________
Life is to short and the liver can only handle so much, so why waste it on bad beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Chrus
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Sydney, Australia
Posts: 168

I kinda gave up playing computer games and started brewing... guess you could go the other way and take up gaming...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 2,998
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrus
I kinda gave up playing computer games and started brewing... guess you could go the other way and take up gaming...
Already do that as well, not computer though, ps3 and 360.

Current hobbies are guitar, gaming, brewing, cooking, sex and drinking... not bad, but gotta replace brewing somehow... still thinking biking's not a bad idea for the weekends.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
Already do that as well, not computer though, ps3 and 360.

Current hobbies are guitar, gaming, brewing, cooking, sex and drinking... not bad, but gotta replace brewing somehow... still thinking biking's not a bad idea for the weekends.

I dunno man, just about everything on that list could just be given a +1 to replace your lost brewing time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
lgtg
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Southwest Florida
Posts: 198

you can grow herbs or maybe perfect a small hop crop for your eventual return to brewing?

Maybe a label design process, with articulated efforts to make it last for the duration.

I've struck up a conversation with a brewmaster from the restaurant chain; Hops. He's invited me to the brewery to check it out and watch, perhaps you could look at home brewing from a different angle for awhile?

Maybe build a conical? Or design a sculpture for advanced brewing when you get back?

Brew soda? Build ships in beer bottles? Travel to beer related places....grow an addiction to sports?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment (pics) DRoyLenz General Beer Discussion 76 06-30-2014 04:53 PM
hook & ladder brewing co. & Southern Tier brewing starrfish General Beer Discussion 22 12-10-2009 04:46 PM
Basic Brewing Radio - German Brewing History Kaiser General Beer Discussion 8 10-30-2009 01:20 AM
Naked City Brewing invades Double Vision Brewing dblvsn North West Homebrew Forum 13 06-23-2008 03:11 PM
Victory Brewing ~ Downingtown, PA 37 minute brewing tour video SuperiorBrew General Beer Discussion 5 01-23-2008 07:14 PM


Forum Jump