Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question About Day 3 of Fermentation- Bubbles Stopped

Old 12-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2969 Times on 2563 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

Starters & re-hydrating def increase the need for a blow off due to more vigorous initial fermentation. It's a good thing,in my opinion. You want a good,healthy ferment.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2350 Times on 1673 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

If you don't want to use a blow-off, the only real solution is either a smaller batch size or a larger fermenter. In either case, more headspace for the krausen is the key. Even then, using a blow-off as standard practice is probably a good idea.

Casked: Scottish 80/-
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Wee Heavy

Old 12-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Starters & re-hydrating def increase the need for a blow off due to more vigorous initial fermentation. It's a good thing,in my opinion. You want a good,healthy ferment.
+1 Vigorous is good.

B

Old 12-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
myquestforbeer
Recipes 

Wow great stuff everyone! Thanks for the info. Being a noobie I wasn't sure what to expect, but it sounds like its good that it fermented so vigorously and that, being the 3rd day of fermentation, it just slowed down a lot and giving it another 2 days before moving it to the carboy is ok to let it clean up. Sound about right? The kit said it should yield about a 7.2 ABV when done. Wondering if I should add a little more malt and yeast to bring it up a little more. I'll probably just continue on with the instructions being this is my first go. Thanks again everyone! I welcome any other tips you have...

Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
birvine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myquestforbeer View Post
giving it another 2 days before moving it to the carboy is ok to let it clean up. Sound about right?
No. Leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks in total. Then check fg for completion.

I would not add more malt or yeast at this point. I'd leave it.

B

Old 12-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #16
seabass07
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Yea. Just leave it alone. Its hard to fight the urge to mess with the first few batches.

I agree about leaving it in primary. But i personally disagree with the 3 to 4 weeks. It gets repeated here a lot, but i think if ferment temp is consistent and not too hot and you pitch enough yeast, 2 to 3 weeks is plenty. I just havent found a need or benefit for 4 weeks.
Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
birvine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
Yea. Just leave it alone. Its hard to fight the urge to mess with the first few batches.

I agree about leaving it in primary. But i personally disagree with the 3 to 4 weeks. It gets repeated here a lot, but i think if ferment temp is consistent and not too hot and you pitch enough yeast, 2 to 3 weeks is plenty. I just havent found a need or benefit for 4 weeks.
That can definitely be the case. I only suggest the 3-4 in order to more likely ensure full fermentation and clean up the flavours.

B

Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2969 Times on 2563 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

I'm partly to blame for 3-4 week mantra,as I preached that from my original experiences with brewing. I then did a simple series of tests over the next couple of brews & found that after FG is reached,3-5 days additional time is all that's needed. Clean up & further settling generally doesn't take more time that 3-5 days,sometimes 7 days.
That little experiment def changed things.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
plumbob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As everyone has already said, leave it alone!

You'll be much happier, what happens in the primary just cannot happen in the secondary or bottles; and it take a few weeks for that to happen.

Tide yourself over with some beer you haven't tried and build your collection of bottles for the next batch!

3 weeks, don't add anything, don't shake it up, don't even look at it if you can help yourself, just leave it in the closet/basement/cellar whatever and do your best to forget about it till Christmas at least.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #20
plumbob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh and DO tell us how it turns out, that part is important too