EndlessWinter77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopheaded View Post
sirachi
Could we all agree that the correct name of the sauce is "Sriracha" though... unless for some reason I am mistaken and there is some weird ingredient known as "Sirachi".

Sorry, for some reason its just driving me nuts

Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
hopheaded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sriracha it is...I ussually just call it rooster sauce though

Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
solo103
Recipes 

Yeah I have had a couple dif jalapeno ipa's that were good. I'm going for some heat but also for the flavor of the sirrachi that's why I don't just want to use a pepper.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
solo103
Recipes 

Endlesswinter sorry I didn't have a bottle in front of me. Lol. Why argue semantic's just looking for input on the idea

Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
pietro1022
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's actually known as Cock Sauce.
Lurkmoar Likes This 
Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #16
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

FWIW, this is a made-in-the-USA, CA derived sauce. It is not a true, traditional asian sauce. It think it was created by an asian transplant to CA, but just putting it out there.

Either way, I love heat. I made a habenero/ancho porter that was pretty good. It took second in a local competition in it's category.

IMHO the secret is smoothing the flavor distinction between the heat and the barley/hops. Anchos do this with dark grains because they add a little smoke and a little heat. You can try to figure out what to do with a red pepper sauce, but you are probably better off going back to actual peppers. It's easier to control the flavor with fewer ingredients (like garlic, as above) affecting the taste.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #17
solo103
Recipes 

Yeah I know it will be tricky to balance the flavor with those other ingredients that are in the sauce but I want to try something diffrent from what everyone else is doing and I really enjoy the flavor of the sauce and want some of that to.come through not just the heat

Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #18
hopheaded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ayoungrad...when you did the anchos in the porter did you add them at the end of the boil or do a dry hop thing with them? I made a habenero/pepper beer where i did both, serano peppers for 15 mins and habs in the secondary. The beer had an over poweing pepper taste, like drinking a bell pepper. What was your method?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #19
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I dry hopped both the habaneros and the anchos. I just chopped them and put everything, including the seeds, in a hop bag. Then I tested it every day or two until I had the heat level and flavor I was looking for. My Puerto Rican mother-in-law loved it.

I just remembered something. Have you ever had a michelada? I had some in Mexico and have since had them here. It's basically beer, lime juice and spices. The spices I had were mainly hot sauces, probably because its easier to make. And I had one in MA that had sriracha in it at an asian restaurant. It was really good. I think micheladas are most often made with lagers. The ones I had in Mexico were made with Pacifico.

Also, I just double-checked my sriracha comment above. According to wiki, it IS a traditional thai sauce. Not sure where I heard otherwise. Oh well. Bottom line is I always have at least sriracha, cholula, tabasco and el yucateco on hand. And usually several others.