Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Who else scored the cheap 7cf GE from HomeDepot/Walmart?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Who else scored the cheap 7cf GE from HomeDepot/Walmart?

OK, I know a lot of you got the 7cf GE freezer from home depot or Walmart over the last few weeks. Mine is coming in a week or 2 and I am impersed in researching what I need to do to make a keezer. Since there are probably a lot of folks out there at the same point, we should start a thread to discuss designs, equipment types/deals etc.

Anybody?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
PistolPete2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am one who is still on the fence with buying this freezer. Saw a 7 ft. Holiday, with a dent, in Lowes for $129. Anybody have any experience with Holiday.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
OK, I know a lot of you got the 7cf GE freezer from home depot or Walmart over the last few weeks. Mine is coming in a week or 2 and I am impersed in researching what I need to do to make a keezer. Since there are probably a lot of folks out there at the same point, we should start a thread to discuss designs, equipment types/deals etc.

Anybody?
There are a bunch of existing thread builds on this model in the DIY area. Here's a few:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/knot...-build-223902/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bben...-build-271020/

I think this might be the same model: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-keezer-build-286204/

This one is the same model: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ge-7...ersion-192208/

and this is the mother of all threads taking about kegelators (.sp?) in general, with plenty of links to particular builds:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show...gerator-29053/

I am getting the same freezer ($159 deal), supposed to be delivered Monday so I am in interested in anything you come up with in addition to what I just posted, or in general how you do your build.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 12-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
intense3123
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete2 View Post
I am one who is still on the fence with buying this freezer. Saw a 7 ft. Holiday, with a dent, in Lowes for $129. Anybody have any experience with Holiday.
From what I understand, the holiday and GE are the same freezer. Look exactly the same on the inside. Compared the GE 5.0 at Sam's Club and the Holiday at Lowes and couldn't spot a difference. I picked up the 5.0 Holiday at for $135 (family members employee discount) so I couldn't pass that up. Just got my 2 keg setup from kegconnection the other day. Can't wait to start building it up. Also glad to say I'm gonna be done bottling

Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
BullGator

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So far I know I am getting a reg from birdman brewing. My buddy picked one up and it seems to be nice and it was cheaper than anywhere else I saw. I was thinking of going to my LHBS to buy a reconditioned ball lock keg tomorrow. I think i can get them there right at $50 (obviously no shipping on top of that). I am going ball lock so I can increase my chances of getting 4 kegs in.

Let me know how the kegs from kegconnection turn out.

My friend has had the holiday freezer in his garage for probably 2 years or more and it runs good (although he has food in his...freaking loser).

Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Redleg
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought it and made a keezer out of it. 4 kegs on the floor, I just have to put them in carefully. Built my collar out of 2x10 so I have room for another keg on the hump if I need to.

(First post and I used the word "hump", does not bode well for my future)

Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
cedar_lake
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the Lowes Holiday. I cannot get 4 kegs all on the floor. The 4th one will go in far enough to shut the lid if pushed, but I can't get it within four inches of the floor. A little work with a hammer in the right places would probably change that. It is ever so close. I haven't started my Keezer project yet.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Brewnoob1
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have my GE 7cf freezer being delivered on the 27th. WOOHOO! Keezer build will commence that week! That is, if I have everything else in. I have my faucets and all that that were just delivered earlier this week. Just waiting on my ebay temp controller and the freezer itself!
Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
I have my GE 7cf freezer being delivered on the 27th. WOOHOO! Keezer build will commence that week! That is, if I have everything else in. I have my faucets and all that that were just delivered earlier this week. Just waiting on my ebay temp controller and the freezer itself!
Two questions:
1) Where did you source the faucets and shanks from, what kind, what cost, etc?
2) Are you going to collar mount the ebay temp controller (STC-1000)? I would like to do this but am worried about condensation and/or whether I have to insulate around it. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
BullGator

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am curious about the hardware sources as well.

I am planning on doing something similar to one of the links given above with a 1x10 on the inside and a 1x12 on the outside. One of my questions is if I will need to push some air around because of the height extension of the top. Or should I just put the collar on and call it good?