Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting small(er) batches in a large(r) conical?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
cripplecreek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenting small(er) batches in a large(r) conical?

Hello everyone,
I'm looking at buying a conical and I have some questions that relate to head space. I'd like to get the largest fermenter I can afford. Right now it's looking like I could swing a 27 gallon unit. My question is can I ferment 5 gallon batches in this unit? I think 5gallons make for good test batches. My concerns are:

1. head space and oxidation - I've read different accounts, some say it's going to fill with CO2 and it's not an issue for primary, others say leaving kraussen that would otherwise be blown out a blow off tube contributes to off-flavors.

2. Physical shape - with a small amount of beer, will I loose a large volume to the shape of the conical when I go to collect yeast / trub?

3. What about using it as a secondary? Can I hit it with a shot of C02 to fill the head space?

Any input is appreciated!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
BlackTieBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes it'll work, I have the Blichmann 27 and can still ferment 5 gallon batches in it. The headspace won't be an issue and yes if you feel worried about oxidation you can always purge the headspace with a CO2 blanket. As far as losing beer to trub/yeast collection you won't lose more than you would on a smaller conical and for liquid remaining I ran a test when I first got mine draining it with the racking tube completely down, I can't remember the exact volume but it was under 1L probably around .5L that was left under the racking arm

Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for asking the question, and thanks for answering. I've been wondering about the same thing.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
cripplecreek
Recipes 

Thanks for and info BlackTie! Can't wait to get mine ordered.