Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Accurate FG

Old 04-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default Accurate FG

After bottling this afternoon I remembered to check the FG. I used what was left in the bottom of the secondary. Even though this was the secondary, there was a fair amount of sediment in the sample I used. Will this have an effect on the accuracy or the measurement?

Just finishing a Pilsner thatís only about four weeks old. (Had to check the carbonation before moving to basement for conditioning.) Itís gonna be REAL hard to stay out of this stuff.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Rook

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I asked a similar question earlier, and I think that becuase the yeast is in suspension, and not solution, it won't effect the reading.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Considering you put the priming sugar in the bucket prior to the reading that may effect the reading (maybe not by much).

EDIT: nope you took it out of the secondary... should be accurate
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 04-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Yeah, there was no priming sugar, straight from the secondary. It just looks really thick, so I thought that it might have an effect. Actually kind of hoping it did because it's at 1.018, but it started at 1.062, and there was no activity, so I should be fine. Sure tasted good!

It will be the next beer I drink tonight. When I moved it to the secondary there was not enough room, so I bottled one. It's been a couple of weeks and I'm feeling brave . . . .