Russian Imperial Stout: Too early to bottle? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Russian Imperial Stout: Too early to bottle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
brewbike
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
weymouth, Ma
Posts: 26


Hello all,
working on 4th brew now: A Russian imperial Stout.
5 Days ago it went into the bucket and has been sitting in 68 degree type temps. Going to leave the country in 7 days for 2 weeks.
was going to bottle it right before we left. This would make it in the bucket for a total of 13 days if I bottle it before I leave.
Although someone suggested that I just bottle it when I get back after my trip and let it sit in the bucket for the extra 2 weeks. I was told it can go in the basement while I am away in colder temps and it will "slow" down and will be fine.
Can I do this or should I bottle it before I go?
Thanks all!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
boist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
boist's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
, Israel
Posts: 192
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I'd vote for bottling when you get back. A beer this big could probably use the extra time in the fermentor and at any rate wont suffer from it. Storing it in slightly colder temperature would help clean it a bit, which would also be good.


__________________
My Beer and Brewing Blog:
http://threecatsbrewery.blogspot.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,910
Liked 525 Times on 353 Posts


I've found that lower gravity stouts need a good 6-8 weeks before they are drinkable (I believe it is the roasted malt that needs to mellow); higher gravity versions will take even longer.

I have a RIS that I left in the primary for 4-5 weeks, not its in a secondary for probably another 6 months before I'll begin to worry about when to bottle it.

My advice for you is to forget about it for awhile, especially if you at it fermenting at 68 degree type temps (whatever that means).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Polboy
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 917
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts


yes way too early to bottle, you are perfectly safe to leave it in primary until you get back, you could also move it to 2ndary day before your trip and keep it in there for months, bulk aging is better than bottle aging, you could add oak, coffee or vanilla in that 2ndary if you wish

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
brewbike
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
weymouth, Ma
Posts: 26

awesome. Did forget to mention other details to. We added an extra can of malt (3 cans dark malt total) and an extra packet of yeast to help with all the sugars.
I was thinking that this would add to the brew spending more time in the bucket anyway.
It will be hard to wait for this one to be ready.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,707
Liked 299 Times on 254 Posts


It's always hard to wait.....
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,607
Liked 351 Times on 305 Posts


Yea, definitely too early to bottle. A big beer like that I wouldn't even cool down- leave it where it is to make sure it attenuates all the way. Since most of the crazy fermentation is done, you won't have a problem with warmer temps.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
brewbike
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
weymouth, Ma
Posts: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Yea, definitely too early to bottle. A big beer like that I wouldn't even cool down- leave it where it is to make sure it attenuates all the way. Since most of the crazy fermentation is done, you won't have a problem with warmer temps.
Thanks so much! These are important things for me to learn.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,910
Liked 525 Times on 353 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbike View Post
Thanks so much! These are important things for me to learn.
Have you tried tasting it? I think if you would have done this, your tastebuds would have told you that it was not ready yet.

I just put a RIS into secondary, it was a month old and tasted like dark coffee with moonshine in it and IPA level bitterness. Definitely not ready.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

I aged a 10% RIS for 5 months, 2 in secondary and 3 on burbon oak. Tastes good when i was bottling it but still needs another month to bottle condition. Longer is better imo.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best yeast for a Russian Imperial Stout Clanchief Fermentation & Yeast 49 07-16-2013 02:19 AM
Off taste predictions/ Imperial Russian KCBrew Fermentation & Yeast 10 08-25-2011 01:35 PM
Russian Imperial Stout - starter? KELLEHERC Fermentation & Yeast 7 04-18-2011 12:07 AM
Yeast for Russian Imperial Stout? Hopheader Fermentation & Yeast 9 04-29-2010 11:51 PM
About to start Brewer's Best Russian Imperial Stout - need to double pitch? Jimmies Fermentation & Yeast 5 12-30-2009 12:46 AM


Forum Jump