Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > is it ruined?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
thekbomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Default is it ruined?

i was ready to bottle my first batch of beer and i noticed some mold floating on top. i found a couple of things that said to just dump the whole thing, but its my first batch and im not about to quit on it unless i have to. i used a turkey baster and tasted some from farther down and it tasted ok (i dont really know what it's supposed to taste like). would it be very obvious if it was bad? i was also wondering if im going to die from drinking moldy beer.


thekbomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,467
Liked 6067 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Default

Well, if tastes ok to you and you want to save it, go ahead and siphon from under the "mold" into your bottling bucket. Maybe it's not really mold- sometimes there are "things" in the beer like yeast clumps or bubbles that don't look very nice.

Even if it's mold, it won't kill you. Beer that's infected might taste bad, but not kill you.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Seveneer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hampshire, UK.
Posts: 102
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Firstly, you aren't going to die!!

Are you sure it's mold on top and not yeast?

It's good practice not to throw any beer away until you're absolutely sure is infected AND it's a few months old. I'm drinking one right now that I was about to dump because last time I tasted it (a month ago) it was tasteless and thin. It's now extremely tasty with a good firm head.

I think you'd know if it was infected. Most beginners would probably be suprised at how bad young beer can taste. Especially when they later taste the same brew a few weeks later.

My advice would be to bottle it and get on with brewing the next batch.

/Phil.
__________________
http://www.philrobins.org.uk
Seveneer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Poo-Poo Land
Posts: 6,809
Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Default

If it's mold, you can just skim it off and it'll be OK. Just like with cheese, a little mold only damages the area it occupies, but not the whole batch.
__________________
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.


Cheesefood is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
thed007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
Default

yeah, we saved our first batch, thanks everyone


thed007 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am RUINED wyo220 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 11-12-2012 06:39 PM
Is it ruined? Doh! Kenbeer30 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 10-07-2009 06:40 AM
Is it ruined? Beer Lover Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 02-07-2008 02:51 PM
Is it Ruined?? BrodieBrewer Cider Forum 3 07-16-2007 04:51 PM
Is This Ruined?? JohnnyK68 General Techniques 4 02-17-2007 06:06 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS