Originally Posted by Czm
Reviving an old thread. My setup is different and my valves are behind my keggles. I did my first all grain on my single tier (centennial blonde 5 gallon). I didn't have a measuring stick to calculate boil volume. I drained the mash tun to about when the pump wouldnt pump much out of it after my 60 min mash. What I did during sparging I made sure I had enough hot water in my hlt and used it to push what ever wort was in my lines into the bk. I did a double batch sparge but the grains swelled up so much I had to add more water to stir and do my run offs. I didn't let the hot and cold break settle much I instantly starting cooling through my cfc back into the kettle. Had some trub in the center. I have a 12" false bottom in the bk with a hole drilled off to the side of the center. It was a real PITA. I didn't make any logs of my first all grain brew. Should have but didn't. I went by what software said and ended up with 5 1/4g in fermenter instead of 5 1/2. I missed my og by 1 point. I need to change some things and if helps ill post some pictures of my setup. I have 2 more batches setup and don't want to screw them up to much. As this one it was frustrating.
As it was your first AG it sounds pretty good (1 point off and 1/4 gallon). Those first few times with new processes/equipment always seem clumsy. Sounds like you have very little to tweak though, just need to get use to the new flow.