About those big jugs...it's OK to call a carboy a JUG - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > About those big jugs...it's OK to call a carboy a JUG

Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
mmead
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Staunton, VA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wikipedia says....The word carboy is from the Persian qarabah (قرابه), from Arabic qarraba, "big jug".[3]

It's OK to call a car boy a jug. this is America, we don't need to adapt words from the Arabs.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
birvine

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmead View Post
Wikipedia says....The word carboy is from the Persian qarabah (قرابه), from Arabic qarraba, "big jug".[3]

It's OK to call a car boy a jug. this is America, we don't need to adapt words from the Arabs.
Living languages change - adopt and adapt.

B

Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Better not learn any math, either. Or if you do, stick to roman numerals and don't learn anything more complicated than multiplication.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
falconnuke
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Knoxville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Better not learn any math, either. Or if you do, make sure it's roman numerals and you don't learn anything more complicated than multiplication.
Or just go straight to Calculus, since that was invented by Gottfried Leibniz, a German (you know, that country that makes beer that a lot of people like)

Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

Speaking of Big Jugs, there was this college girl at the Ferris State hockey game on Saturday who had some. She was wearing a very small, tight tank top, and just loved to emphasize them too. I'm not making this up.

She actually BOUNCED her way up the stairs to reach her seat. Let me clarify. She PURPOSEFULLY bounced her way up the stairs. And later I caught her out of the corner of my eye making them bounce ridiculously in her seat!

It's too bad I am am gentleman, or I would have gotten a picture to share.

So my point is, picking out a single word to practice Etymological Jihad on, is kind of douchy. The English language is made from words from all over the world dating back many centuries. Carboy is the accepted word for a fairly specific style of vessel used for during the fermentation of drink.

Big Jug is a very broad definition that could mean anything that holds liquid.

birvine Likes This 
Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnuke View Post
Or just go straight to Calculus, since that was invented by Gottfried Leibniz, a German (you know, that country that makes beer that a lot of people like)
Oh yeah, that reminds me, most of our modern technology was borrowed or built on stuff we borrowed from the Nazis.

Point being if we avoided everything just because we didn't like its origin, we'd all be living like paupers right now.

birvine Likes This 
Old 12-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Oh...my....god....some people are just idiots....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Speaking of Big Jugs, there was this college girl at the Ferris State hockey game on Saturday who had some. She was wearing a very small, tight tank top, and just loved to emphasize them too. I'm not making this up.

She actually BOUNCED her way up the stairs to reach her seat. Let me clarify. She PURPOSEFULLY bounced her way up the stairs. And later I caught her out of the corner of my eye making them bounce ridiculously in her seat!
Giving rise to the saying, "check out the carboys on her!"

Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
birvine

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Giving rise to the saying, "check out the carboys on her!"
OK, so I actually burst out laughing! Hahaha!!

B

EDIT: Every time I see carboys I'll think of beer brewing! LOL!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

I can't resist turning this troll thread into something fun...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew