Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long is my yeast starter good fir

Old 12-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
sorefingers23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long is my yeast starter good fir

About 2 weeks ago I had planned a brewday and built up a starter with white labs hefeweizen ale yeast, but wasn't able to brew that day, and actually still haven't had a chance so my yeast been in the fridge since then. I will be brewing this weekend, and I'm not sure if I can just pitch the yeast as it is, should I reactivate the starter, or should I not even use it at all?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Drain off most of the starter wort that is still in there and bring it up to room temp. Then make a new batch of starter wort. Heffe yeast doesn't age as well as the others so you'll want to revive it before you pitch.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I suggest reactivating it. Probably could decant and pitch as is, but you got time to grow more.
Kegged: Amber Ale, Doppelbock, Oktoberfest, Nut Brown Ale, Pilsner, Maier Bock, Brown Ale, Cream Stout, Am. Amber, Vienna Lager.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I recall Jimal stating on a Brew Strong episode that 1-2 weeks should be ok. He would decant the "beer" off the top of the starter and add 5 of 6 oz of fresh wort to "wake it up" a few hour before pitching.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z
I recall Jimal stating on a Brew Strong episode that 1-2 weeks should be ok. He would decant the "beer" off the top of the starter and add 5 of 6 oz of fresh wort to "wake it up" a few hour before pitching.
So for future reference, if this happens again some day, would it be ok to use the yeast starter after 3 or 4 weeks, or is 1 -2 weeks the limit?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took my yeast out of the fridge this morning and it started fermenting again on its own, I guess it wasn't completely finished. I think I'm just gonna pitch it as is. Any thoughts?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Wobbegong
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefingers23 View Post
I took my yeast out of the fridge this morning and it started fermenting again on its own, I guess it wasn't completely finished. I think I'm just gonna pitch it as is. Any thoughts?
If you didnt stir it up already, I'd decante and pitch the slurry. My 2 cents....

Old 12-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #8
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've kept starters for over a month without any problems. I recently kept a Sweet Mead start on a stir plate for 2 months and used it on multiple batches with no problems. Try to feed it with wort every so often. I've been lazy in the past and just dumped in a tablespoon of DME and it worked fine. Technically you should boil it to sanitize it, but I've never had any problems.