Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Moonshiners on Discovery Channel

Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1296 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Is that teenager even old enough to agree to be shown on TV doing this stuff? Seeing that kid made me pretty uncomfortable.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 844 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I'd imagine that it's "set up" Local authorities most definitely have jurisdiction over distillation, as localities have their own laws governing alcohol production which they can easily enforce. I remember a history channel show about bootleggers where the "moonshiner" they used had already been caught and prosecuted and was allowed to perform for the cameras. Likely, that is the case here.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
TxBrew
Dr. Mantis
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2001 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 892

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferullo View Post
How does this show make sense? Moonshiners on camera...would the law enforcement just bust them? Can you get more scripted "reality tv"?

although I will say i am checking it out just because I watch almost all things brewing/distilling/history there of on TV.

Thoughts anyone?
Reality is a term used to signify shaky cameras and manufactured drama.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
Berniep
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hate the fake drama in these shows. Would much prefer a standard documentary format.

Notice how he was careful not to add all the ingredients to the fermenter. So he hasn't made a mash yet. I will be interested to see how they handle the actual run of the still.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
Reality is a term used to signify shaky cameras and manufactured drama.
I have no use for Jerry Springer , er, reality TV shows ... to put it politely.
I recall during the writers strike a few years back, people saying that networks were going to be relying on the reality type shows during the strike and probably thereafter. At the time I did not think that would happen as the TV shows affected were well liked and had devoted audiences ... something that advertisers like.

Well ... I've plainly "bumped up against the cold hard facts that set me straight".

The reality shows are cheap to produce, don't require writers with more than a 6th grade education, and apparently appeal to enough viewers who are willing to be fed swill that they have been quite successful. Fine with me tho, I just spend less time in front of the tube for it.
Devon Likes This 
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

... but there is a type of show that some might classify as reality that I have enjoyed. They are the series such as Frontier House, 1900's House, and Manor House (not surprisingly 2 of these 3 were produced in Britain). These shows are where people are put into historical surroundings to live for a number of months. It's not so much the style I like but the content.
The exception was the U.S. produced Colonial House, which I could not stand ... wildly trashy and sensationalist ... like a horrible soap opera on steroids.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1296 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley
... but there is a type of show that some might classify as reality that I have enjoyed. They are the series such as Frontier House, 1900's House, and Manor House (not surprisingly 2 of these 3 were produced in Britain). These shows are where people are put into historical surroundings to live for a number of months. It's not so much the style I like but the content.
The exception was the U.S. produced Colonial House, which I could not stand ... wildly trashy and sensationalist ... like a horrible soap opera on steroids.
+1 to 1900 House! I loved how the Dad (a police officer) had to ride a horse to work and wear the olde-tyme uniform.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley View Post
I have no use for Jerry Springer , er, reality TV shows ... to put it politely.
I recall during the writers strike a few years back, people saying that networks were going to be relying on the reality type shows during the strike and probably thereafter. At the time I did not think that would happen as the TV shows affected were well liked and had devoted audiences ... something that advertisers like.

Well ... I've plainly "bumped up against the cold hard facts that set me straight".

The reality shows are cheap to produce, don't require writers with more than a 6th grade education, and apparently appeal to enough viewers who are willing to be fed swill that they have been quite successful. Fine with me tho, I just spend less time in front of the tube for it.
If you recall, the mother sh!t that spawned all this crap was Cops. It was designed to create content in response to the writer's strike of 1988.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #19
lex990
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Many states it is legal to have a running still as long as it is registered with the govt. and taxes are paid on the volumes distilled. I would say this has been done on all stills on that show and they script in those guys to make em seem like they are the lost boys of shinin

Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #20
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
+1 to 1900 House! I loved how the Dad (a police officer) had to ride a horse to work and wear the olde-tyme uniform.
Yup. Great stuff.
Also, Victorian Farm, Victorian Farm Christmas, and Victorian Pharmacy as well as all of the above including 1900 House are mostly all viewable on youtube.