Would this work for brewing? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Would this work for brewing?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
badbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Posts: 1,372
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts



Propane Oil-Less Fryer-10101480 at The Home Depot

It's $64 with coupon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
h22lude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
lincoln, ri
Posts: 2,689
Liked 177 Times on 149 Posts


For an extra $30 you can get a SQ-14 burner and 10 gallon pot.

I'm not sure this technology works as well when heating water.
__________________
Up Next: Blonde Ale, German Pils
Primary: Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout
Kegged: Galaxy Dry Hopped Fort Point clone, Blonde Ale
Bottled: S'mores Stout, Blonde Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,617
Liked 356 Times on 310 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
No, what you want is a burner with a pot.

30 qt. Turkey Fryer-815-4001-S at The Home Depot

That one ^^^ is what I have. Works well, but it's a little low on the BTUs, but that's fine for now, just takes a little while to boil. Super cheap, though, and maintains an excellent rolling boil.

The only thing to look out for is that it has a lip to hold exactly that one pot. A larger pot (in diameter) wouldn't work, which is an issue I will run into later, on, but not before I start looking for a faster boil. I'd say that 7.5 gallon will last you a good, long time. For $40, you can hardly go wrong, it's a great starter if you're on a budget.

A lot of people use the Bayou burners, do an amazon search. Those move some serious heat, but are a little more spendy, plus no big pot. You do get the luxury of picking your own pot, and potentially upgrading later though.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
gunner65
 
gunner65's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Lexington, KY
Posts: 843
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts


I would recommend no less than the capability of a full boil or you will have to upgrade when you get serious. Buy it right or buy it twice. What h22lude recommended would be perfect and you can always fry turkey to.
__________________
Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
SocalNat
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
san diego, california
Posts: 100
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
No, what you want is a burner with a pot.

30 qt. Turkey Fryer-815-4001-S at The Home Depot

That one ^^^ is what I have. Works well, but it's a little low on the BTUs, but that's fine for now, just takes a little while to boil. Super cheap, though, and maintains an excellent rolling boil.

The only thing to look out for is that it has a lip to hold exactly that one pot. A larger pot (in diameter) wouldn't work, which is an issue I will run into later, on, but not before I start looking for a faster boil. I'd say that 7.5 gallon will last you a good, long time. For $40, you can hardly go wrong, it's a great starter if you're on a budget.

A lot of people use the Bayou burners, do an amazon search. Those move some serious heat, but are a little more spendy, plus no big pot. You do get the luxury of picking your own pot, and potentially upgrading later though.
Do you have any issue with boil overs while doing 5 gal full boils in 30 qts?
__________________
A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it's better to be completely sure. -- Czech proverb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
badbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Posts: 1,372
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
No, what you want is a burner with a pot.

30 qt. Turkey Fryer-815-4001-S at The Home Depot

That one ^^^ is what I have. Works well, but it's a little low on the BTUs, but that's fine for now, just takes a little while to boil. Super cheap, though, and maintains an excellent rolling boil.

The only thing to look out for is that it has a lip to hold exactly that one pot. A larger pot (in diameter) wouldn't work, which is an issue I will run into later, on, but not before I start looking for a faster boil. I'd say that 7.5 gallon will last you a good, long time. For $40, you can hardly go wrong, it's a great starter if you're on a budget.

A lot of people use the Bayou burners, do an amazon search. Those move some serious heat, but are a little more spendy, plus no big pot. You do get the luxury of picking your own pot, and potentially upgrading later though.
Figures it's sold out. I could actual use that for a turkey.

edit: oh shiz! it's at my local hd!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
h22lude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
lincoln, ri
Posts: 2,689
Liked 177 Times on 149 Posts


I just started doing BIAB using the sticky in the all-grain section and it says to start with 7.5 gallons of water. That right there would bring you to the top of the kettle. Once you add the grains, you would have overflow of water.

If you will be doing extract full boil or even all-grain non BIAB you can use the 30 quart but it would be close. There have been plenty of times (not just with brewing) that I went with the cheaper option with the mindset that I would upgrade later only to find out that after using this cheaper item I really want to upgrade now. Don't settle for the smaller kettle and burner just to get it now. You will only be spending more money in the long run.

The $40 HD fryer seems like a really good deal but if 2 months down the road you find out you want something bigger, well that $40 deal isn't a deal anymore.

All I'm saying is don't buy for now, buy for the future. If in 6 months you want to do BIAB, save your money until you can afford to buy a bigger kettle and burner.
__________________
Up Next: Blonde Ale, German Pils
Primary: Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout
Kegged: Galaxy Dry Hopped Fort Point clone, Blonde Ale
Bottled: S'mores Stout, Blonde Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Posts: 1,372
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
I just started doing BIAB using the sticky in the all-grain section and it says to start with 7.5 gallons of water. That right there would bring you to the top of the kettle. Once you add the grains, you would have overflow of water.

If you will be doing extract full boil or even all-grain non BIAB you can use the 30 quart but it would be close. There have been plenty of times (not just with brewing) that I went with the cheaper option with the mindset that I would upgrade later only to find out that after using this cheaper item I really want to upgrade now. Don't settle for the smaller kettle and burner just to get it now. You will only be spending more money in the long run.

The $40 HD fryer seems like a really good deal but if 2 months down the road you find out you want something bigger, well that $40 deal isn't a deal anymore.

All I'm saying is don't buy for now, buy for the future. If in 6 months you want to do BIAB, save your money until you can afford to buy a bigger kettle and burner.
Thanks, I recognize your point. I don't think I will be going hard core any time soon though. I did a lot of extract + grains batches back before the internet and screwed a lot of them up pretty good (mostly from impatience and probably uncleanliness) I can tell you I learned as much or more in the past week of youtube/ hbt forum viewing than in my 5+ years of home brewing that I feel confident stepping back in the old shoes and fixing my mistakes. I want to master the extract and minor grain additions before jumping in to all grains. $40 might just be what I need. I have a 2+ gallon steel pan as well If I need. I kind of dig those youtube guys that brew all grain out of a keg. I might give that a shot one day who knows.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
badbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Posts: 1,372
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Now I just need to figure out how to adapt that propane tank threading on the unit to fit my wall gas valve on the wall outside.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
jevers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Dalton, GA
Posts: 48
Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
Now I just need to figure out how to adapt that propane tank threading on the unit to fit my wall gas valve on the wall outside.
Your wall gas valve is propane, right? Just making sure you're not going to try to hook up a propane burner to a natural gas line...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will this work? stoneyrok Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-24-2011 01:36 PM
Will this work? OHIOSTEVE Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-14-2010 04:31 PM
will this work? OHIOSTEVE Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 05-02-2010 06:05 PM
Think this would work? arch1tect Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 12-03-2009 04:18 AM
all grain brewing split boil indoors will it work? LSDracula Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 07-19-2009 03:36 PM


Forum Jump