Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Indiana HomeBrew Forum > The Dark Lord Cometh....

Old 04-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default The Dark Lord Cometh....

Anybody else heading to Three Floyds today? Doors open at noon.

Today is the day they release the Dark Lord. Oh sure, I could've posted this sooner, but then you all would show up and there would be less for me!!! (actually, I just didn't think of it).

Old 04-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

6 bottles are mine all mine!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Old 04-29-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Explain. What/who/where?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 AM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Once a year, Three Floyd's Brewery releases a beer for one day only. People stand in line for it and once it is gone, it is gone. They hire bands to play. The lawn becomes a gigantic picnic area. Lushes abound!!!

The beer is now sold out for the year and I have six lovely bottles....

Old 04-29-2007, 03:26 AM   #6
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Ahhh.. I stand enlightened, though very thirsty. My address is.....

Old 04-29-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

All in all, it was a pleasant experience. The weather was nice and of course this was bad. Personally, I was hoping for a lot of rain to discourage the fair weather drunks from showing up. I hate fair weather drunks.

I wound up spending about 80 minutes spent in line for the beer, but truth be told, the weather couldn't have been more perfect for standing in line. 65 degrees, lots of clouds to minimize direct sunlight, but an otherwise clear and dry day. Nice. Best of all, they had coolers set up along the line, so you could hop out of line really quick and buy a beer as you wait.

As I was standing in line, the great weather, the sunshine made me think about how this entire experience reminded me of a Cubs game... You wait in line an hour for your beer, but the scenery is nice... just like a Cubs game. But then I realized that there were two other factors that make this way better than a cubs game. The first is that the beer is GOOD. The second is that, at the end of the day when you leave, your team hasn't lost! Yup. Definitely better than a Cubs game.

We got there late. It was SWMBO's fault. Eh... Noon, 2:30pm, close enough. I knew I should've left without her and just left directions. When we got in line, there was a guy standing there letting people know that there are running low and they can't guarantee that you'll get any if you stand in line. That discouraged 90% of the people and it made me want to strangle SWMBO for being two and a half hours late. To make matters worse, she was in a crabby mood, so I was half ready to say forget it, just to avoid the inevitable whining. But, much to her credit, she didn't complain, we talked and it was a nice time waiting in line. I don't give SWMBO enough credit. She rules. Anyway, we got our beers with plenty left behind the desk for the rest of the people taking a chance on standing in line.

The description from the bottle reads:

Quote:
Dark Lord is a gargantuan Russian Style Imperial Stout with a reverse cascading head that starts out billowing the color of burnt oil like the Dark Lord rising from the black primordial beginnings. Its Resonant vinous aroma has been described as cherries, sweet malt, molasses, burnt currants, plums with a port wine alcohol undertow. Mochachino notes buried within. Motor oil consistency, hellishly smooth yet divinely burnt and vinous. The first sip coats your palate with a palatial charred fruit and chocolate blanket. Alcohol burn wiggles its way down your throat with a thick body. Enjoy and thanks for your continuing support.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

So... hows it taste?

Old 04-29-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys Fine Consumptibles
So... hows it taste?
At $15 a bottle, I'm going to open the first when I am well rested and sober, preferably in the morning when my taste buds are more perceptive. $90 for a six pack is quite the splurge in my current situation, I'm afraid. I really have to savor these as I have to work two days to pay for them.. ouch.

Besides, one and a half of them are technically SWMBO's... who is feeling under the weather. She actually sported my the five bucks so we could get the sixth one and we're going to split it. I figured we'd do that together once she's feeling more up to it.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #10
mcgeebc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was too late yesterday. I didn't realize they sold out so fast. There is always next year.