Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > anyone have a mango IPA recipe?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
phish2160
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default anyone have a mango IPA recipe?

Looking to brew a mango IPA sometime soon. Anyone try this or have a good recipe?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

ive heard of some successes for a mango wheat on these threads....but they suggested really going overboard with the mango puree as it temds to mellow out quite a bit rather quickly. with an IPA you might have to go ape**** for it to come through all those hops.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2715 Times on 2101 Posts
Likes Given: 372

I would just use citra hops. They are well known for their tropical fruit flavor. Then you could serve the beer with a slice of mango in the glass - in my opinion it would be extremely difficult to capture the bright fruity flavor of mangos in a beer.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never tried it, but it sounds like an excellent idea. I'd use some kind of combination of amarillo/simcoe/citra hops to bring out that tropical fruit type flavor. Fruit IPA has always sounded like an interesting idea to me, but I haven't ever actually gotten around to brewing one.

I had a commercial IPA once that was brewed with lemon and orange zest. It was phenomenal!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2715 Times on 2101 Posts
Likes Given: 372

The only suggestion I would make would be to only use 2 row, and maybe 4 ounces of honey malt or 6 ounces of crystal 10. Definitely nothing really malty, as it would quickly overwhelm any fruit flavors you had worked hard to create.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Interesting...like the above posters, try "fruity" hops, cascade and centennial would be some other choices. I would add mango extract or peel 30 minutes left in the boil then dry hop in a secondary as well.

Also as stated, hops are the main thing coming through, its really hard to overcome. I've been trying to naildown an orange/grapefruit IPA for months...I can't taste my last three experiments until the new year but I've gotten some nice results so far with a combination of the above suggestions and a few other things.

Is there such thing as a mango honey you could prime with?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I made this one a year or so ago, and the dominant flavor was mango. It's really a fantastic beer:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/s-ipa-118158/

Might be tough now since simcoe's in such short supply, but if you can get some, I'd highly recommend brewing it.