Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > brew in a bag, small batches

Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Been doing three gallon BIAB batches for a while in a 5 gallon canning pot with a paint strained bag and a vegetable steamer. Pictures available here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/simp...method-146872/

Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Ambiorix
Recipes 

Default Small Batch Brewin a Bag Option

I just picked up a copy of the book Beer Craft by William Bostwick and Jessi Rymill after hearing a segment on the NPR show "The Splendid Table." They do 1-gallon batches using a brew-in-the-bag stovetop method. I've been doing 5-gallon batches, but have wanted to downsize in order to try more recipes without ending up with huge amounts of beer. I also wanted a faster brew day. This book seems promising. It's well put together and includes 10 recipes with ideas for others. I also have a copy of the Durden Park Beer Circle book, Old British Beers and How to Make Them. That book has 1-gallon (UK) recipes that would be easily downsized to 1-gallon (US). Tons of wonderful recipes from British brewing history! I had the British Beers book in mind when I decided to pick up Beer Craft. I had been leary of scaling the old recipes up to 5-gallon batches without knowing how they'd turn out.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Challenger440
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made 5 gallon batches with a 5.5 gallon pot using BIAB and sparging. There is hope for you yet!

My process looked like this:
Mash in my 5.5 gallon pot.
Pull the bag out and let it drip for a minute or so.
When the stream of wort slowed to a drip, I would slide a bottling bucket under the bag and lower the bag down in.
Dump in my 170-175 degree sparge water (serves to mash out)
Mix the grains and sparge water and let sit while I start to bring the wort in my pot up to a boil.
When the wort in the pot starts to boil, drain off the (batch) sparge via the spigot on the bottling bucket and add to the pot.

While doing this, I would live dangerously and boil 4.75-5 gallons of wort. Very little room for error or I would have a boil over, but this would allow for a near full boil. As some of the wort would evaporate off during the boil, I would just keep adding my runnings from the bucket.

In this thread several people have mentioned their method, just try to find what works for you.
Keg #1: Oatmeal Stout (WLP004)
Keg #2: Oatmeal Stout (WLP037)
Keg #3: Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Keg #4: Empty
Bottled: Apfelwein, Scottish 60/-
On Deck: Simtennial Pale Ale

Old 08-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 36

2.5 gallons is that I do BIAB and it tends to net me somewhere around a case of beer.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I do 2.5 to 3 gallon stove top no sparge BIAB batches in a 5 gallon pot with no problems on liquid volume.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #16
BrewHobby1
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have been watching this thread and thought I would add something I am currently trying with smaller batches.

I used a 15.5 gallon keggle to do a BIAB 3.5 gal batch. My bittering hops were boiled using a hop spider. This was followed by No-chill in a corny keg and cooling in my fermenting freezer. I then aerated the wort in the keg and pitched yeast the next day. The primary fermenting corny is connected to another corny with a spunding valve for blow off. The wort has been vigorously fermenting for three days. The primary also has an inch and a half cut of the dip tube.

Tomorrow I will use CO2 to push the green beer off the yeast cake to the blow off keg for secondary. Once transferred, I will add a hop tea to the wort for aroma and flavor and allow it to finish for 10 days at fermenting temp. Then cold crash for two days and taste.

I started this to make smaller batches and have more variety in my serving kegs. I think this method is a great way to test smaller batches for taste with my buddies before scaling up to twelve gallon brews. I currently have a three vessel rig that I would like to automate and this keeps me in all grain brewing until the work is done.

I have my fingers crossed. This whole method made for a very easy and short brew day but was a radical change from past methods.