I mentioned this in another post I made but didn't really get any responses on that point. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience to back this up, particularly in brews with lactose or maltodextrin in them. My only infected batch was a stout with 1/2 lb of lactose in it, and that got me thinking about why that could have been.
Maybe just bad luck, but maybe it was the leftover sugar. Brewer's yeast does not eat these sugars, but that's not true of some types of wild yeast or bacteria. To me this would indicate that wild yeast or bacteria are more likely to start growing in a beer where these "leftover" sugars are present. Has anyone else had experience with this or looked into the science of this?