HappyLoon's HopHaven Honey Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdubbaya

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
2 Liters
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Light copper appearance, smells and tastes very citrusy. Honey leaves a sweet finish.
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG (our sample was off, could be higher)
Finished OG: 1.010
Estimated ABV: 8.0% ABV
Estimated Color: 10 SRM
Estimated IBU: 83.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients
--------------------------
77% 9.5 Lbs. Briess Gold LME
17% 2.0 Lbs. Clover Honey (added with 8 minutes left in boil)
2% .25 Lbs. Briess Caramel 60L
2% .25 Lbs. Honey Malt
2% .25 Lbs. Aromatic Malt

60 mins .75oz Warrior pellet 13.7
20 mins 0.5oz Amarillo pellet 9.3
20 mins 0.5oz Simcoe pellet 12.2
10 mins 0.5oz Amarillo pellet 9.3
10 mins 0.5oz Simcoe pellet 12.2
5 mins 0.5oz Amarillo pellet 9.3
5 mins 0.5oz Simcoe pellet 12.2
1 min 0.5oz Amarillo pellet 9.3
1 min 0.5oz Simcoe pellet 12.2
Dry Hop 7 days 1.0oz Amarillo leaf 10.4
Dry Hop 7 days 1.0oz Simcoe leaf 14.1
Dry Hop 7 days 1.0z Ahtanum leaf 4.0

Named after Minnesota's own WineHaven, where our clover honey originates, this citrusy Imperial IPA ferments dry and fresh, allowing the honey malt to leave a sweet finish to an otherwise hop forward beer. It smells of orange and lemon, and leaves a slight grapefruit pucker on the tongue. Big bubbles and strong lacing reminds you that the 8% ABV is present, but fans of the style will enjoy our HopHaven Double IPA.

Estimated: 267 calories per 12 oz.

Hopville Recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/948495/imperial-ipa-recipes/hophaven-honey-double-ipa

6439883623_d9be20eb8f.jpg

6439887815_a9590f132f.jpg

Cool! Let me know how it turns out!

Don't forget to make a starter, we had about a 2 liter starter and the yeast cut right through the sugar.

The first time we brewed this we went from grain to glass in about 4 weeks. Fermented for 1.5 weeks, dry hopped for 1 week, and kegged for 1 week.

This looks delicious, I'm really bumming out having so much trouble getting my hands on a good amount of Amarillo. It seems I can find Am when Sim is out, and Sim when Am is out, never fails.

Anyhow, just linking this into my reply topics so I can fall back on it later, looks like a great beer, thinking though I'll sub out the extract for maybe Otter and take it AG, been on a big MO kick lately. I'll post back if / when I brew it, thanks for sharing - cheers!

Just got off the phone with my homebrew store and it sounds like they have all of the leaf and pellet that I need. He suggested trying the next batch with the WLP090 (San Diego Super), but I don't really see any need to push the fermentation any faster. Any thoughts?

Just got off the phone with my homebrew store and it sounds like they have all of the leaf and pellet that I need. He suggested trying the next batch with the WLP090 (San Diego Super), but I don't really see any need to push the fermentation any faster. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't push it any faster, but make sure you are pitching enough. Our FG dropped to 1.010 pretty quickly, but for some reason our SG was off. I think we may have had some bad extract, so YMMV.

We're brewing this again soon, probably an all-grain conversion, so I'll be sure to check back with updates.

Cheers! :mug:

Yanniwithamohawk said:
I'm sorry for the stupid question but in new to this, is that 12lbs of grain or extract?

oh I see the online recipe is all grain and this is the extract version?

oh I see the online recipe is all grain and this is the extract version?

Sorry for the confusion, I've since created the all-grain version of this for my next brew, but I forgot I linked it here.

I'll specify that the link is all-grain, but the extract recipe above is the exact recipe we brewed the first time.

Definitely making this in the spring, by then my beer supply should be lower. Never thought I'd say this, but there's too much beer in the house now. :drunk:

Brewed last night, and we can't wait! Had to sub some falconers for the amarillo pellet, so we are going to lose some of the citrus element, but I did manage to get the fresh leaf for the secondary, so hopefully that will help. It has been less that 20 hours, and it is bubbling away solidly. Should be ready by the time we hit 90 here in Phoenix, it was only 84 today.

Brewed last night, and we can't wait! Had to sub some falconers for the amarillo pellet, so we are going to lose some of the citrus element, but I did manage to get the fresh leaf for the secondary, so hopefully that will help. It has been less that 20 hours, and it is bubbling away solidly. Should be ready by the time we hit 90 here in Phoenix, it was only 84 today.

How did this turn out? The honey fermented quickly and dropped our FG in a week, have you taken a reading yet?

Just went in to the secondary tonight. OG was about 1.074. Reading from today was about 1.014. Kept it a little cooler which slowed the rate down a bit, but still had very active fermentation. My secondary is a bit warmer and it should easily hit a FG of approx 1.010 for bottling day. You mentioned that you kegged yours, any suggestion on carbonation level?

I tend to under carb my kegs, just personal preference. I don't have my numbers in front of me, but I believe I set my pressure to about 15 psi for 7 days, then dropped it down to serving pressure.

For my ipa's, I typically don't worry about exact carbonation levels, I just drink a little every day and stop when I think it's good.

zph2 said:
Just went in to the secondary tonight. OG was about 1.074. Reading from today was about 1.014. Kept it a little cooler which slowed the rate down a bit, but still had very active fermentation. My secondary is a bit warmer and it should easily hit a FG of approx 1.010 for bottling day. You mentioned that you kegged yours, any suggestion on carbonation level?

Wondering how this turned out? I'm brewing this again soon, I also made a version as a session IPA, best recipe I've done so far.

Finally pulled a pint of this last night, and it came out wonderfully. Great hop character but well balanced, such that even my fiancé--who's not much of a hop head--actually enjoys it. I think the honey helps. Thanks for the recipe!

How do you think this would turn out if I used some wheat extract in this? I have some that I need to use.

How do you think this would turn out if I used some wheat extract in this? I have some that I need to use.

I've never used Wheat Extract before, so I can't really say. I would imagine the flavor profile would be a bit sweeter, but probably not too noticeable as long as the yeast strain was clean.

jpar345 said:
Will a partial boil work for this, or not recommended?

I think a partial boil would work fine, but make sure you change your calculations to match the partial boil. I can imagine the ingredient weights will be much different with a 2 or 3 gallon boil.

Cheers!

I think a partial boil would work fine, but make sure you change your calculations to match the partial boil. I can imagine the ingredient weights will be much different with a 2 or 3 gallon boil.

Cheers!

I'd be going for a 3-gallon boil... can you explain exactly what I'd have to calculate? Sorry, I'm still kind of a noob at this.

Back