Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starsan
Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Starsan

Starsan is the sanitizer that I chose to use.

It seems likes once mixed with water this stuff is extermely bubbly. Anything that goes it and comes back out of the sanitizer is covered in bubbly residue. It seems counter intuitive to stick something with bubbly soapy mess into a batch of beer.

Also, I had seen another post where a guy put sanitizer instead of water into his airlock. I tried that. Again, a big bubbly mess.

How many people put plain old water in their airlocks?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Insert Witty Title Here..
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Don't fear the bubbles. I often have the same concern as my brew buddy makes it look like a freaking bubble bath, but StarSan is fine for beer. I think I've read it even acts as a yeast nutrient. So again - bubbles are fine.

Don't put water in your airlock. The airlock should be sanitized, to be sure bacteria doesn't grow in there. I use StarSan in that as well - although I just grab it from the middle of a bucket full of StarSan I have setup, so no bubbles there. Many people use vodka for this task though.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2910 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 3534

You want the foam. The purpose of it is to get into all those hard to reach crevices and sanitize them. It's a no-rinse, WET CONTACT sanitizer and that foam is what you want to insure that your beer stays healthy.

I use it exclusively in my airlocks and I don't have any issue, perhaps you're using too much? And even if it does bubble, so what, it's santizing around the airlock grommet and even the airlock itself.

Besides foam is fun...

"Stupid Starsan Tricks" or why you shouldn't fear the foam...
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Old 12-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The foam in star-san contains proteins that yeast consume and use to build cell-walls. Even if there's a little left in the fermenter when you transfer the wort in there, that's a GOOD thing, and will help the ferment.
Primary 1: Hasty IPA
Primary 2:
Secondary: Soured Golden
Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber