Artificial sweeteners - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Artificial sweeteners
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
Buck21
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Sioux City, IA

I've got a cider that is about to finish fermenting and I want to sweeten it at the end with some kind of artificial sweetener. I was planning on using xylitol, till I read about the possible side effects it can have (the runs ), so now I am leaning towards Stevia or Truvia. Anyone used either of these? If so, would you recommend them? Any other artificial sweeteners anyone would recommend? In the future I am wanting to go the natural sweetener route (adding concentrate, stopping fermentation at a higher gravity, etc.), but this being my first cider I decided to go the easier way. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
divi2323
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Blue Island, IL
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I've used stevia. I added two tsp for a 5 gallon batch and thought it was perfect. I then primed with aj concentrate and bottled. After carving, threw a few in the fridge. The sweetness at least for me really came out when chilled and carbed.

Overall I like it and its natural. Be careful of oversweetening it though.

Side note, my second 5 gal batch I added 3 cans of Apple/Cranberry concentrate and one aj concentrate. It is sweet and tart, and a great hit at thanksgiving and the holidays in general. For this I bottled and pasteurized 3 days later. Read the pasturization sticky. Even if you don't intend to do it, there is a whole collective wealth of cider making info in it for anyone.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
rycov
Recipes 

Feb 2010
conway SC., South Carolina
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

are you bottling or kegging? will this cider be carbonated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Buck21
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Sioux City, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
are you bottling or kegging? will this cider be carbonated?
I will be bottling and carbonating, planning on just using dextrose to prime, but what divi did sounds good to, so I may consider using aj concentrate.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
stargate_to_Earth
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Raleigh, NC

I'm totally new to this but you could try lactose, according to the brew-masters around that I have asked it will sweeten without fermenting and without the side effects of artificial's. Also I haven't tried mine yet (just started it) but apparently it doesn't even remind you of milk.