Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Head Retention

Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Crystal malts/carapils will not have an effect on pH, so don't bother using them to "balance the carbonate". Acidulated malt, acid additions, or roast malts would, though, or RO water and building up would work too. You might also be able to boil your water and decant off of the precipitate or use campden tablets as well.
Wheat, carapils, and flaked barley all work well to aid head retention. I use a couple ounces of flaked barley from the bulk section at the supermarket myself with good results.
Not sure what effect high pH would have on head retention, but I doubt it would have any significant amount. What do others say?
Also, a zombie thread.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #12
discokid2k
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
Crystal malts/carapils will not have an effect on pH, so don't bother using them to "balance the carbonate". Acidulated malt, acid additions, or roast malts would, though, or RO water and building up would work too. You might also be able to boil your water and decant off of the precipitate or use campden tablets as well.
Wheat, carapils, and flaked barley all work well to aid head retention. I use a couple ounces of flaked barley from the bulk section at the supermarket myself with good results.
Not sure what effect high pH would have on head retention, but I doubt it would have any significant amount. What do others say?
Also, a zombie thread.
How much wheat do you use? Does this affect the final clarity of the beer? What is an "excessive" amount of cry/cara to use per batch? I know under 20% but is a lb of crystal malt overdoing a 6 gal run (OG in the 1.040-1.055 range)? I have been using about 1/2lb of cara/crystal (4oz each) per 5.5gal batch but I think I need to up it by a few ounces or change to wheat since the head is not as nice as others. My other motive for using crystal malts is to gain the flavor perceptions. Slowly been going up from 10l through the spectrum. I am currently on 60l moving up to 80L.

I thought I read somewhere that the pH does affect head retention but I couldnt find it and I spoke to the guys at AHB who confirmed that roasted malts, not crystal malts would help lower the pH. First thing is I will have to buy a better pH meter, I may be worried over nothing.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 201

I just use a handful/couple ounces of flaked barley, but a lot of people use about 1/2 pound wheat as an adjunct to aid head retention.