Rasperry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailmix

Reaction score
Hello all, i tried to improv a rasperry ale by adding 4oz extract to an ale kit ater the boil. Its going well after a week in primary, but i was wondering if there is anything I can add to clear the beer up alittle bit. It looks like tomato soup!

Thanks,
Brian

it will clear up a lot after moving it to the secondary and allowing it time to condition in the bottles. the cloudiness is actually your YEAST running around eating sugar, pissing alcohol, and farting carbon dioxide. You WANT them there.

The beer in my primaries is always very murky/foggy. Clears up a lot in the secondary. Clears up GREAT in the bottles.

I wouldn't touch beer in the primary. Anything you add to clear it up is going to make your yeast fall out of suspension and stop working effectively (hence your beer will be only half way 'done').

Let it sit in the secondary for at least a week. If it's not clearing up to your liking, there are a lot of "fining agents" than can be used to facilitate the process in the secondart fermenter. Look around for Isinglass, Gelatin, PolyClar, etc, etc.

-walker

Back