Are the soldered connections on this homemade wort chiller OK to use? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are the soldered connections on this homemade wort chiller OK to use?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
msa8967's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
North Liberty, Iowa
Posts: 2,878
Liked 108 Times on 87 Posts



I bought a used wort chiller from a HBT member that he had made. Tried using it a couple of times and it worked just fine but I am concerned about the condition of the soddered connections. Are the soddered connections on this homemade wort chiller OK to use?

I am not sure if there is any danger of lead leaching out from these particular connections?
Click image for larger version

Name:	1128011641.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	39421   Click image for larger version

Name:	1128011642.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	39422  
__________________
Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
brandonhagen1
 
brandonhagen1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
springfield, oregon
Posts: 887
Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts


im not sure but those are ugly connetions
__________________
god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


Well, if he didn't use lead-free solder, there could be a problem.

Of course, if he used leaded solder, you wouldn't want to use it even if the joints *were* neat and clean.

Assuming the maker used the right solder (lead-free), there shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
krenshaw's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,133
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Assuming the maker used the right solder (lead-free), there shouldn't be a problem.
^
|
|

what he said.. and they don't look that bad.. really probably just as good as i would have done myself.. as long as it doesn't leak then it'll get the job done..
__________________
~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: oxy :-(
Keg 1: Brown Ale | Keg 2: Porter | Keg 3: Belgian Wit
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
thargrav
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 821
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
^
|
|

what he said.. and they don't look that bad.. really probably just as good as i would have done myself.. as long as it doesn't leak then it'll get the job done..
Not true - wurt is different than just water. There is not much in tap water to set up galvanic action but there is plenty in the wurt to cause galvanic action (basically, a battery composed of two dissimilar metals in a acid). And all you need is a little galvanic action to actively push lead into your wurt.

But there is a easy way to tell - is the solder turning a dull grey or does the chiller come out with the solder joints bright & shiny? If they stay shiny then you are definitely leaching whatever's in the solder joint into your wurt!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
Not true - wurt is different than just water. There is not much in tap water to set up galvanic action but there is plenty in the wurt to cause galvanic action (basically, a battery composed of two dissimilar metals in a acid). And all you need is a little galvanic action to actively push lead into your wurt.
... but, you would never use a lead-based solder on anything that would contact beer or wort. That's the point. There shouldn't be any lead to leech.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
audger
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
., Connecticut
Posts: 1,497
Liked 43 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
Not true - wurt is different than just water. There is not much in tap water to set up galvanic action but there is plenty in the wurt to cause galvanic action (basically, a battery composed of two dissimilar metals in a acid). And all you need is a little galvanic action to actively push lead into your wurt.

But there is a easy way to tell - is the solder turning a dull grey or does the chiller come out with the solder joints bright & shiny? If they stay shiny then you are definitely leaching whatever's in the solder joint into your wurt!
there are plenty of minerals in tap water to cause a galvanic circuit, the only major difference between tap water and wOrt is the addition of sugars. sugars do not increase galvanic action significantly. the pH of the wort is what i would be worried about stripping the surface more than anything. that is what is going to cause the 'bright and shiney' joints, a chemical reaction, not galvanic action.

lead is also more cathodic than copper so if anything galvanic were happening, the copper would be depositing onto the lead.

if i were unsure about which type of solder was used, i would just cut off all the solder and redo the chiller. no sense taking a chance at lead poisoning, thats no fun. there is also no safe level of lead ingestion, its the same as radiation; its cumulative over your lifetime. it doesnt matter how fast you ingest it, just the amount. so you try to minimize any intake of lead.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
thargrav
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 821
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
there are plenty of minerals in tap water to cause a galvanic circuit, the only major difference between tap water and wOrt is the addition of sugars. sugars do not increase galvanic action significantly. the pH of the wort is what i would be worried about stripping the surface more than anything. that is what is going to cause the 'bright and shiney' joints, a chemical reaction, not galvanic action.

lead is also more cathodic than copper so if anything galvanic were happening, the copper would be depositing onto the lead.

if i were unsure about which type of solder was used, i would just cut off all the solder and redo the chiller. no sense taking a chance at lead poisoning, thats no fun. there is also no safe level of lead ingestion, its the same as radiation; its cumulative over your lifetime. it doesnt matter how fast you ingest it, just the amount. so you try to minimize any intake of lead.
Thanks for the correction - copper is less noble than lead.

He does not know what was used. And I guess the real point is if you didn't solder it or you can't get a straight answer from whomever soldered it, then don't buy it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
05m50dan
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Atco, NJ
Posts: 213
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Side question...
Been having trouble with my mash tun and stuck mashes. So I revised my false bottom braid. I made a loop with a gatorbite copper T, and used lead free solder (from lenox bought at Lowes) to make a coil I shoved inside the SS braid to keep it from collapsing. Now the question is, is the solder going to be a problem in the mash tun? Will it leach chemical into the wort?
There's about 1.5-2feet of solder in the coil.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Homemade wort chiller ErieShores Equipment/Sanitation 10 02-10-2012 01:40 PM
Considering buying a homemade wort chiller on craigslist... good idea? MoonMaster Equipment/Sanitation 10 08-28-2011 03:37 PM
Eco-Friendly Homemade Wort Chiller JustMrWill Equipment/Sanitation 31 07-08-2009 09:23 PM
Anyone Made a Homemade Wort Chiller? abonzer Equipment/Sanitation 13 11-24-2008 12:33 AM
Homemade Wort Chiller Boston Equipment/Sanitation 11 02-20-2006 01:34 PM


Forum Jump