got a new 10 gallon cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
So after not seeing my mom in a couple weeks she called and asked me to meet her for breakfast. Of course i said yes and once we finished eating sh asked if i would go to home depot with her. So as we are walking along i stopped to look at the price on the ten gallon cooler and said wth. After getting to the register she pulled out her card and treated me to my new mashtun.

My question is what is best to use as a manifold for this? should i use a false bottom, braided line, or copper manifold? I would like to fly sparge once i get it all set up if that matters

Fly sparge with a braided line is less than ideal due to likely channeling issues, so either a well designed manifold or a false bottom would be the way to go.

You might want to check out this thread for ideas on outfitting your mash tun...

Cheers!

The braid seems to work for most folks using these. I have two of the square Coleman 10g coolers and I made a manifold from copper pipe. But once I found a really big mesh bag, I don't use any manifold in mine.

edit:
Oops, I stand corrected before I even finished my post :)

i picked up a false bottom, works like a charm i regularly get 85-90% efficiency with this cooler and a false bottom. Obviously good crush and lautering comes into play but a false bottom works REALLY well. and honestly not that expensive.

When fly sparging a false bottom is the way to go. I got mine for around 45 from moreBeer and it works great.

When fly sparging a false bottom is the way to go. I got mine for around 45 from moreBeer and it works great.

Morebeer is about 20 min from my house so that is actually what i was thinking but i have a bunch of copper pipe laying around so i was just trying to save a buck. Hmmm maybe if i email morebeer and ask nicely they will make it a deal of the day and allow me to pick up in store

kosmokramer said:
Morebeer is about 20 min from my house so that is actually what i was thinking but i have a bunch of copper pipe laying around so i was just trying to save a buck.

If that's rigid copper, you'll probably find it a difficult material to use in constructing a good manifold within a 12" diameter space.

Hmmm maybe if i email morebeer and ask nicely they will make it a deal of the day and allow me to pick up in store

Worth a shot...

Cheers!

i saw one with an octagonal shape using 45's, thats what i was aiming for with the copper. i just email morebeer so lets all keep our fingers crossed.

for a false bottom go to grocery store to buy a stainless folding vegetable steamer rack.. open it ,take off the legs .now drill the center out for 45 degree fitting for suction hose.. notch the bottom of fitting with a file..put a stainless clamp on fitting so i does not pull through.. hook up hose..fit in nice..use you 24 inch bag grain over cooler before grain addition.. no stuck sparges... clean up a breeze just pull out sack...by the way the wife might have in the kitchen...so wont know its gone fold up nice for storage.. steamer basket is less that 10 bucks... maybe a cup of left over wort ..make sure you drainage hose about 2 foot long so that if can draw out wort..

Use a steamer and a grain bag? Is that the "belt and suspenders" approach? ;)

Fwiw, the only folding steamers I've seen in grocery stores were chrome plated over gawd-only-knows-what-metal...

Cheers!

for a false bottom go to grocery store to buy a stainless folding vegetable steamer rack.. open it ,take off the legs .now drill the center out for 45 degree fitting for suction hose.. notch the bottom of fitting with a file..put a stainless clamp on fitting so i does not pull through.. hook up hose..fit in nice..use you 24 inch bag grain over cooler before grain addition.. no stuck sparges... clean up a breeze just pull out sack...by the way the wife might have in the kitchen...so wont know its gone fold up nice for storage.. steamer basket is less that 10 bucks... maybe a cup of left over wort .,.make sure you drainage hose about 2 foot long so that if can draw out wort..

Do you have any pictures of this setup?

P

Use a steamer and a grain bag? Is that the "belt and suspenders" approach? ;)

Fwiw, the only folding steamers I've seen in grocery stores were chrome plated over gawd-only-knows-what-metal...

Cheers!

What is the point of the steamer? Just to give room on the bottom for the wort?. I believe i have a steamer tray that came with my turkey fryer

Back