DIY Fermenting chest build - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > DIY Fermenting chest build

Old 11-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
germanicus81
Recipes 

May 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've learned so much from trolling these forums over the years, I thought I should show off some of the stuff I have built using tips learned from this awesome forum.

I was having trouble keeping my brews at manageable fermenting temps because my apartment does not have AC during the summer and can reach temps of 95 deg. easily. So I did what any self-respecting engineer would do- built a custom box to keep my precious brews fermenting all year round.

Here is a shot of the base and window AC unit being installed:

Here is a shot showing the walls and insulation going together:

And here the wiring to the LOVE controller is being installed(I used a 4 outlet box so I could have one each tied to the heater and cooler output along with 2 120VAC outlets for any additional crazy ideas like stirplates):

And here is the completed fermenter- it has a side door for monitoring and normal access, with a top lid to help with accessing carboys further back:

Overall it can hold four 6.5 gallon carboys, I haven't yet checked to see how many cornys it can hold, but I've been slowly transitioning to corny fermentation. my guess is upwards of 6 cornys!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 2924 Times on 2183 Posts

Nice looking build! But I hope you're planning on putting some A/C in for yourself, because that chamber is going to make the summer apartment heat even hotter. You may kick the carboys out and camp inside the chamber

Cheers!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
germanicus81
Recipes 

May 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The fermenter is in the garage, so no added heat to the apartment proper. I have a window AC in my bedroom, but hate to turn it on too often because it adds about $50 to the electric bill. My solution is to relax in the garage during the summer heat- the keezer in the last photo now has 3 taps on it!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Pike County, MO
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

So you won't add $50 a month for your own comfort, but you will do it for your beer?

Thats a real man, nice build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
germanicus81
Recipes 

May 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
So you won't add $50 a month for your own comfort, but you will do it for your beer?

Thats a real man, nice build!
Well the fermenter only costs about $5 to run for a month, so yes I'll take an order of magnitude in savings!

How much do most people pay to heat/cool their houses anyway? My apartment is about $50 a month to heat in the winter, and I cannot cool the whole place during the summer using my one window AC unit- which is probably a good thing given the $50 per month for just the bedroom !