Racked to secondary too early...now what? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racked to secondary too early...now what?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
davidcr80
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33


I brewed a batch of Brewers Best Imperial Nut Brown a few days ago and got antsy...so I racked after only 4 days...I know now that I should have not...what are the implications, suggestions to adjust, expected outcomes?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,454
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Hi,

Welcome to the forums. The best place to ask these questions is the beginner's forum.

In regards to your questions. It's probably a little to early to tell, what's happening, but after a little while, take a gravity reading and see where you are at. Go back to your recipe and find out what your OG is an expected FG and we will have to wait and see if you are still fementing. More than likely, there is enough yeast to continue fermentation, but don't be surprised if it slows down or sticks. It's kind of a waiting game now.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Special Hops
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Kanatenah
Posts: 1,435
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Just let it go for at least to more weeks in the secondary. Everything will be fine. There are enough yeast in suspension when you transfer.
__________________
KANATENAH BREWERY
On Tap:Foreign Extra Stout, ESB
Fermenting: Fools Gold IIPA
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
davidcr80
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forums. The best place to ask these questions is the beginner's forum.

In regards to your questions. It's probably a little to early to tell, what's happening, but after a little while, take a gravity reading and see where you are at. Go back to your recipe and find out what your OG is an expected FG and we will have to wait and see if you are still fementing. More than likely, there is enough yeast to continue fermentation, but don't be surprised if it slows down or sticks. It's kind of a waiting game now.
Thanks so much!...will do! Yea it was a fast and vigorous ferment for a couple days, then slowed big time!

What do folks do if the fermentation sticks?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,454
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


There are a couple of things to do. Mostly swirl the carboy and try to get the yeast in suspension, you can repitch, do a search for "stuck fermentation" and you can gather experience and insight from there. But more than likely you will be fine.

-Wally

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
davidcr80
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33

I re-pitched and it is going again.

I did wait for several days, and and took further readings...for 3 days straight the Imperial Nut Brown was at 1.030, 5.1% ABV. It had good taste as well.

So I waited a few more days talked around and learned that I could stick with that beer, just sweeter and lower alcohol than I had planned for. But after talking to my local homebrew shop he suggested to re pitch with champagne yeast. After a couple of hours fermentation has RESUMED!! It has been about 20 hours hours since and it is still going. It is a slow ferment (about 1 bubble/minute).

So now that it is going again I am hoping that the final product will be good!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
djfriesen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Posts: 1,189
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


It will turn out ok. But let this be a lesson to you: be patient. 2-3 weeks in primary is the recommended minimum around here. And I don't even touch my beers until 10+ days in primary, and then it's just to take a SG reading, in preparation to take another one at the 2 week mark to see if it's done. If it's done at the 2-week point, I leave it for another 4-5 days, and then bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
davidcr80
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33

thanks for the feedback...

1. So, many folks don't secondary..?

2. Now considering my initial primary for this Imperial Brown was started on 11/21/11, I transferred to secondary on the 26th then re-pitched on the 3rd. How long or what do I wait for now?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
gointomexico
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
gointomexico's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 139
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I don't use a secondary anymore, but I used to. If you re-pitched, I would wait another week and take a gravity reading then. Wait a few days, take another gravity reading and see if its the same. If there is no change, just bottle/keg, whatnot.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump