Exporting BSM files and saving and restoring - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Exporting BSM files and saving and restoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,017
Liked 7605 Times on 5353 Posts



It's a long story, but I have an old XP computer that I love. The registry is totally corrupted by a trojan and I'm going to wipe the whole drive and try to start over.

I realize I can't re-download the Beersmith version I have, and I have to buy the new version. But I don't want to lose my recipes.

Can I export BSM files to an external drive (or Bob's computer), download the Beersmith program, and then move the BSM files into it?


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
It's a long story, but I have an old XP computer that I love. The registry is totally corrupted by a trojan and I'm going to wipe the whole drive and try to start over.

I realize I can't re-download the Beersmith version I have, and I have to buy the new version. But I don't want to lose my recipes.

Can I export BSM files to an external drive (or Bob's computer), download the Beersmith program, and then move the BSM files into it?
Absolutely. I'd recommend exporting all of your recipes as BSM and XML just to be safe


__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
AScott
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
MN
Posts: 117
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Why can't you download the previous version? It's available:

BeerSmith 1.4 Home Brewing Software

If you still have your activation code it should work just fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AScott
Why can't you download the previous version? It's available:

BeerSmith 1.4 Home Brewing Software

If you still have your activation code it should work just fine.
That too
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,017
Liked 7605 Times on 5353 Posts


I looked and looked on that site for the 1.4 version, and didn't see it so I assumed it wasn't available. Of course, I've already restored my hard drive and don't have the product key anymore. Darn it!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TXCrash's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
DFW
Posts: 27,709
Liked 3260 Times on 3157 Posts


Yoop, you sure you don't have the product key in an old e-mail?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You $&$&stik. You are my test. Part of it, anyway.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
AScott
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
MN
Posts: 117
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


I think you can e-mail Brad at Beersmith for your old key. It's worth a shot, anyway.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,017
Liked 7605 Times on 5353 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AScott View Post
I think you can e-mail Brad at Beersmith for your old key. It's worth a shot, anyway.
I already paid for the new version, at $20.95, I thought it was reasonable.

The only thing I noticed was the "duplicate" button is gone. I used to use that to copy a recipe, change the date, and keep the updated version in order in the brew log. I'll have to play with it a bit, but otherwise it seems ok.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
AScott
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
MN
Posts: 117
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I already paid for the new version, at $20.95, I thought it was reasonable.

The only thing I noticed was the "duplicate" button is gone. I used to use that to copy a recipe, change the date, and keep the updated version in order in the brew log. I'll have to play with it a bit, but otherwise it seems ok.
It's taken me awhile to get used to it, but I think I'm satisfied at this point. I bought it at the pre-sale price when first released and HATED it. I laid off of it for a couple of months and stayed with 1.4. I've been playing with new version again for a couple of weeks and getting used to it. There's still a lot I dislike about the layout and such (I use a netbook so screen size is a problem), but I'm beginning to like more and more.

I'm not quite ready to abandon 1.4 yet, though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
shortyjacobs
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,509
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I already paid for the new version, at $20.95, I thought it was reasonable.

The only thing I noticed was the "duplicate" button is gone. I used to use that to copy a recipe, change the date, and keep the updated version in order in the brew log. I'll have to play with it a bit, but otherwise it seems ok.
Bit late to the party, but Yoop when you open a recipe there is a "Save As" button in the top right corner. Hit that, enter a new name, and blammo: duplicate.


__________________
Itchy Dog Brewery.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't attach beersmith files benbradford Brewing Software 4 03-04-2011 09:07 PM
Transfer BeerSmith Files Scut_Monkey Brewing Software 7 03-08-2010 03:48 AM
Can we attach files? THRobinson Brewing Software 2 02-26-2010 09:49 PM
Where are my beersmith files? Laughing_Gnome_Invisible Brewing Software 4 01-16-2009 12:08 PM
promash vista rec files fix monty73741 Brewing Software 0 10-13-2008 06:37 PM


Forum Jump