Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Knockout Punch sharing

Old 11-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Knockout Punch sharing

I'm in the midst of converting a Sabco Brew Magic to electric and I have several holes to cut in the kegs for various couplings, tri-clover ferrules, etc and it seems one method of getting these holes cut in a clean fashion without making hole saws disposable is by using knockout punches.

I have one set, a conduit set, 7238BB and that goes from 1/2" to 2" for conduit. I'm looking to get a 39860 set which makes standard holes from 3/4" to 1.5".

With the money invested in these, I'm wondering if anyone on the forum would be willing to throw me a few bucks plus shipping to borrow the sets. They should fit in a $10.95 Priority Flat Rate box.

I have 6 holes to cut into my kegs and at nearly $285 for the set of standard punches, $47.50/hole is pretty steep. I also need to cut the holes in my enclosure for the switches.

If you're interested in borrowing a set for like $30 shipped, post here and if I get enough of a response, I'll probably buy the other set. If not, I'll call a few shops to see if they'll do the work for me.

I'm thinking we could get a list going and send it from member to member in order of the list. First person paypals me $30 and the kit is shipped. When finished, the next person on the list paypals the shipping funds to the person who has the kit and paypals me the other $19. If you only need or two punch sizes, we can work that out.

Maybe I'm setting myself up for failure with lost/destroyed tools, I just figured we could help each other out as I don't have much use for these tools once I'm done with my e-Brew Magic build.

Let me know.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
jtkratzer

Recipes 

I guess that decision was easy.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I'd be down with this. I'm getting ready to build an electric system and I need to punch holes. $30 sounds like a deal, and like you, I don't need the tools after I'm done.

I'm not sure there's going to be a huge response though, since the huge majority of people here already have a brewing system, and aren't imminently contemplating building a new one.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

OTOH, for single-use, Harbor Freight has a set for $25...

Old 11-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
nspaldi0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Are the harbor freight sets decent? I've it two bayou classic kettles coming my way to start my electric build. Might be the route I take.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
nspaldi0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Are the harbor freight sets decent? I've it two bayou classic kettles coming my way to start my electric build. Might be the route I take.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
jtkratzer

Recipes 

I don't mind if the response isn't immediate or the need to use them isn't right away, I'm just not looking to dump hundreds of dollars into tools I use once and then share with 6 people on the forum over 5 years.

I'm going to call around to check with shops for a idea on what the work will cost.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
mabrungard

Recipes 

Liked 344 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The Harbor Freight punch set is perfectly adequate. It won't last hundreds of holes like a Greenlee set, but we probably won't make that many holes in our hobby. Get the HF set! My HF set has performed very well
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-...?ref=bookmarks

Old 11-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
The Harbor Freight punch set is perfectly adequate. It won't last hundreds of holes like a Greenlee set, but we probably won't make that many holes in our hobby. Get the HF set! My HF set has performed very well
I think I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how it goes. Still need a 1.5" hole for the ferrules.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Finnagann
Recipes 

Knockout cutters are also an option, it's basically a whole saw made for metal. They don't last forever like a slugbuster set but they are fast and easy, as long as you have a drill. If you take your time with them they do last pretty good (turn it slow!). I think the Ideal set is pretty reasonably priced.