Herms resources - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Herms resources

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
BllShter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 30
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



OK so I've searched a few times to try to find the generalized collective knowledge on HERMs brewing.

Is there a resource that provides recommendations (or just any data that someone has happened to record) for flow rates through (X-length) heat exchanger coils, recommended pump strength based on MLT and HLT size and capacity to ensure consistent flow of wort through grain bed or to ensure the least amount of compaction possible, temp differential between HLT and MLT depending on some fairly standard variables of vessel size and level of insulation and flow rate?

So many questions, been trying to find a solid starting point and somewhere to go from there. Only ever participated in batch sparged infusion mash sessions and trying to wrap my head around the process a bit.

I did find on a UK HERMs brewer's blog that he typically recirc's at 3 degrees C above his desired mash/step temp. Is this all sort of trial and error or is there any type of "manualized" resource?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
skinny
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Texas
Posts: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllShter View Post
OK so I've searched a few times to try to find the generalized collective knowledge on HERMs brewing.

Is there a resource that provides recommendations (or just any data that someone has happened to record) for flow rates through (X-length) heat exchanger coils, recommended pump strength based on MLT and HLT size and capacity to ensure consistent flow of wort through grain bed or to ensure the least amount of compaction possible, temp differential between HLT and MLT depending on some fairly standard variables of vessel size and level of insulation and flow rate?

So many questions, been trying to find a solid starting point and somewhere to go from there. Only ever participated in batch sparged infusion mash sessions and trying to wrap my head around the process a bit.

I did find on a UK HERMs brewer's blog that he typically recirc's at 3 degrees C above his desired mash/step temp. Is this all sort of trial and error or is there any type of "manualized" resource?
Here is my system. I am not sure of the flow rate, but I slowly open the valves and end up recircing at full flow for the march pump through a 50ft 1/2" stainless IC for the HERMS coil . I use a standard 12" perforatd false bottom and have not had any issues with compaction or reduced flow. I monitor temps at pump suction, HERMS outlet and in HLT. It takes about 10min for the temps to stabilize after starting the recirc. Once stable, the HERMS outlet is at x temp, pump inlet is 1-2F lower, and the HLT runs 7-8 F higher.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
BllShter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 30
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Awesome thanks skinny, how long would you say you take to fully open the outlet valve on your MLT once you start your recirculation?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
BllShter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 30
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BllShter
Awesome thanks skinny, how long would you say you take to fully open the outlet valve on your MLT once you start your recirculation?
Also, would you mind posting the type of heating elements you use, thanks again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
skinny
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Texas
Posts: 40

I take maybe 20-30 sec to fully open the outlet and I use off the shelf 5500w water heater elements from either lowes or home depot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
skinny
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Texas
Posts: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllShter View Post
Awesome thanks skinny, how long would you say you take to fully open the outlet valve on your MLT once you start your recirculation?
You don't want to throttle the inlet of the pump so I actually start with the MLT valve fully open, prime the march pump, open the pump outlet about 1/4 of the way, start the pump then slowly open the valve on the outlet of the pump.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 8,174
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts


Quote:
Once stable, the HERMS outlet is at x temp, pump inlet is 1-2F lower, and the HLT runs 7-8 F higher.
What is the temp in your actual mash while you are recirculating, compared to the other temps? e.g. at the MLT outlet

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
BllShter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 30
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny

You don't want to throttle the inlet of the pump so I actually start with the MLT valve fully open, prime the march pump, open the pump outlet about 1/4 of the way, start the pump then slowly open the valve on the outlet of the pump.
So if I understand correctly, you have valves mounted on your MLT and your HLT and at the outlet and inlet of your pump, is that right?

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resources? mcfarlandp General Beer Discussion 2 08-18-2011 03:47 PM
HERMS in Beersmith? DrDirt General Beer Discussion 1 12-28-2009 02:30 PM
RIMS vs. HERMS onejdn General Beer Discussion 12 11-17-2008 10:54 PM
CNN Homebrewing Resources Orpheus General Beer Discussion 1 12-28-2007 09:37 PM
Belgian resources Joe028 General Beer Discussion 4 09-28-2007 03:23 AM


Forum Jump