Skyrim and Mead - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Skyrim and Mead

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #111
MarshmallowBlue
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Bethlehem, NH
Posts: 1,822
Liked 247 Times on 191 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chshute View Post
So I had an idea... The Nord mead was supposed to have a cold mouthfeel or something like that due to being freeze distilled yada yada... I was thinking about using Polaris hops to get that feel. My question with the Polaris is when should i use it to get the most of that cold glacier sensation... Dry hop for a few days, end of the boil, etc... anyone work with Polaris before?
This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.
__________________
Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made, I stopped counting.
My Home Brew Blog
If you would like to write for HBT, shoot me a PM!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #112
commonsenseman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Posts: 553
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.
That explains A LOT. I've been trying to figure out why every Braggot I make is WAY less bitter than it should be, given the "IBU's". I guess the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

__________________
"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein
__________________________________________
Bottled: Traditional Wildflower Mead, Burnt Apple Braggot, Apfelwein, Big Ol' Braggot
Kegged: Wee Bit O' Honey

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #113
chshute
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 11


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post

This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.
Thanks for the feedback!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #114
bouldvard418
Recipes 
 
Aug 2014
Posts: 1

I came across this recipe for Sweet/Blackberry Briar on the Rabbits Foot website and thought it would be of interest to the thread. The recipe apparently originates from Kenelm Digby, a Knight and Alchemist. Might be the thing everyone is looking for.

http://www.rabbitsfootmeadery.com/CA...e_to_mead.html

You might also check his cook book 'Closet of Kenelm Digby' at Project Gutenberg. There are a lot of Metheglin recipes, although I think I would omit ingredients such as 'Mouse ear'...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16441...-h/16441-h.htm

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #115
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 58,496
Liked 7467 Times on 6118 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldvard418 View Post
You might also check his cook book 'Closet of Kenelm Digby' at Project Gutenberg. There are a lot of Metheglin recipes, although I think I would omit ingredients such as 'Mouse ear'...
Chickweed aka "Mouse Ear", has a lot of herbal use.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #116
NZ-beekeeper
Recipes 
 
Aug 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 59
Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyChurch View Post
I just wish I had a tankard to drink out of instead of a glass mug. I'm working on a recipe for a skyrim mead if anyone wants to join. Most likely with juniper berries since that is one of the first things you hear in the game.
Check this out: http://www.instructables.com/id/Viki...-tools-at-all/

I know it's a bit of an old post, but some ideas, like mead, get better with age!

I made one of these out of oak and it is a pure laugh to drink out of. Makes for a real talking point at parties etc. Gaining access to propolis is a whole lot easier if you're a beekeeper, like me!

GO FOR IT

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:10 AM   #117
joshfoots
Recipes 
 
Apr 2015
, NC
Posts: 7
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


What about a Companions Mead? I know its not in the game but c'mon Jorrvaskr is a famous mead hall. Why shouldn't they have their own recipe?

I found this recipe for Wolf Moon (no kidding, thats what the guy called it) Mead and my first thought turned to the companions.

Pasting the recipe below. I plan to make a batch and see how it taste.

(WOLF MOON MEAD )Blackberries and Spices

1 package of Red Star "Premier Cuvee" yeast
Yeast nutrient
4 pounds of clover honey
1 gallon of spring water
8 ounces of Black berries - Frozen
1 whole clove
inch and a quarter ( 1 1/4 ) long section of a vanilla bean. Split length-wise.
__________________
There's nothing like having a good beer with a good friend.

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #118
Taiin
 
Taiin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2015
Posts: 39
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfoots View Post
What about a Companions Mead? I know its not in the game but c'mon Jorrvaskr is a famous mead hall. Why shouldn't they have their own recipe?

I found this recipe for Wolf Moon (no kidding, thats what the guy called it) Mead and my first thought turned to the companions.

Pasting the recipe below. I plan to make a batch and see how it taste.

(WOLF MOON MEAD )Blackberries and Spices

1 package of Red Star "Premier Cuvee" yeast
Yeast nutrient
4 pounds of clover honey
1 gallon of spring water
8 ounces of Black berries - Frozen
1 whole clove
inch and a quarter ( 1 1/4 ) long section of a vanilla bean. Split length-wise.
Good luck with your batch! I bet the vanilla will taste lovely. I am sure you could pick it up from a khajiit that has recently been to more southern regions of Tamriel than Skyrim.

I'd think trying to make a simple Nord Mead would be great fun. In Bloodmoon it is described as a such a powerful beverage it can even knock a Nord over! In Skyrim it is described as being made with huge amounts of honey, cold brewed (obviously, 'tis a cold region!), and a slightly minty. So perhaps it is a sack mead with a bit of mint for flavor. I don't expect Nords to do anything incredibly special/complicated with their brews, but you never know!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #119
joshfoots
Recipes 
 
Apr 2015
, NC
Posts: 7
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


So Wolf Moon is fermenting away. I'll update in a month or 2 with some pics from racking and bottling.
__________________
There's nothing like having a good beer with a good friend.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:30 AM   #120
luda007
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 85
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Name:  ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467952103.942344.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  774.8 KB

I just started my honningbrew a week ago today.

My buddy and I found a recipe online from a guy that also plays and scoped the location out.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump