Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Skyrim and Mead

Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #111
MarshmallowBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by chshute View Post
So I had an idea... The Nord mead was supposed to have a cold mouthfeel or something like that due to being freeze distilled yada yada... I was thinking about using Polaris hops to get that feel. My question with the Polaris is when should i use it to get the most of that cold glacier sensation... Dry hop for a few days, end of the boil, etc... anyone work with Polaris before?
This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #112
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.
That explains A LOT. I've been trying to figure out why every Braggot I make is WAY less bitter than it should be, given the "IBU's". I guess the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #113
chshute
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #114
bouldvard418
Recipes 

I came across this recipe for Sweet/Blackberry Briar on the Rabbits Foot website and thought it would be of interest to the thread. The recipe apparently originates from Kenelm Digby, a Knight and Alchemist. Might be the thing everyone is looking for.

http://www.rabbitsfootmeadery.com/CA...e_to_mead.html

You might also check his cook book 'Closet of Kenelm Digby' at Project Gutenberg. There are a lot of Metheglin recipes, although I think I would omit ingredients such as 'Mouse ear'...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16441...-h/16441-h.htm

Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #115
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5878 Times on 5109 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldvard418 View Post
You might also check his cook book 'Closet of Kenelm Digby' at Project Gutenberg. There are a lot of Metheglin recipes, although I think I would omit ingredients such as 'Mouse ear'...
Chickweed aka "Mouse Ear", has a lot of herbal use.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #116
NZ-beekeeper
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyChurch View Post
I just wish I had a tankard to drink out of instead of a glass mug. I'm working on a recipe for a skyrim mead if anyone wants to join. Most likely with juniper berries since that is one of the first things you hear in the game.
Check this out: http://www.instructables.com/id/Viki...-tools-at-all/

I know it's a bit of an old post, but some ideas, like mead, get better with age!

I made one of these out of oak and it is a pure laugh to drink out of. Makes for a real talking point at parties etc. Gaining access to propolis is a whole lot easier if you're a beekeeper, like me!

GO FOR IT

Old 04-25-2015, 04:10 AM   #117
joshfoots
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about a Companions Mead? I know its not in the game but c'mon Jorrvaskr is a famous mead hall. Why shouldn't they have their own recipe?

I found this recipe for Wolf Moon (no kidding, thats what the guy called it) Mead and my first thought turned to the companions.

Pasting the recipe below. I plan to make a batch and see how it taste.

(WOLF MOON MEAD )Blackberries and Spices

1 package of Red Star "Premier Cuvee" yeast
Yeast nutrient
4 pounds of clover honey
1 gallon of spring water
8 ounces of Black berries - Frozen
1 whole clove
inch and a quarter ( 1 1/4 ) long section of a vanilla bean. Split length-wise.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #118
Taiin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfoots View Post
What about a Companions Mead? I know its not in the game but c'mon Jorrvaskr is a famous mead hall. Why shouldn't they have their own recipe?

I found this recipe for Wolf Moon (no kidding, thats what the guy called it) Mead and my first thought turned to the companions.

Pasting the recipe below. I plan to make a batch and see how it taste.

(WOLF MOON MEAD )Blackberries and Spices

1 package of Red Star "Premier Cuvee" yeast
Yeast nutrient
4 pounds of clover honey
1 gallon of spring water
8 ounces of Black berries - Frozen
1 whole clove
inch and a quarter ( 1 1/4 ) long section of a vanilla bean. Split length-wise.
Good luck with your batch! I bet the vanilla will taste lovely. I am sure you could pick it up from a khajiit that has recently been to more southern regions of Tamriel than Skyrim.

I'd think trying to make a simple Nord Mead would be great fun. In Bloodmoon it is described as a such a powerful beverage it can even knock a Nord over! In Skyrim it is described as being made with huge amounts of honey, cold brewed (obviously, 'tis a cold region!), and a slightly minty. So perhaps it is a sack mead with a bit of mint for flavor. I don't expect Nords to do anything incredibly special/complicated with their brews, but you never know!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #119
joshfoots
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So Wolf Moon is fermenting away. I'll update in a month or 2 with some pics from racking and bottling.