Centennial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinBR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Yeast Starter
1.5 Quart
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
Strong Hop Aroma and Flavor typical of style.
Malt Qty Grist% Color
Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 10# 77% 1.8
Briess Crystal 40L 2# 15% 40
Toasted Quick Oats 1# 8% 5

Quick oats toasted in 350F oven on large sheet pan for 45 minutes until they are a deep golden brown. Turn and mix ever 10 minutes to prevent burning. The Oats must sit out in a paper bag for 24 hours before mashing.

Mash Schedule is a double decoction.
Strike water is 15 quarts at 131F with grain at 68F and mash tun preheated.
First rest is 30 Minutes at 122F to 124F.
Decoction one is 3.75 quarts heated to 150F and rest for 10 minutes. Then boiled for 10 minutes and returned to tun. Second rest is 40 minutes at 140F to 142F.
Decoction two is 4.25 quarts heated to 150F and rest for 10 minutes. Then boiled for 10 minutes and returned to tun. Third rest is 20 minutes at 156F to 158F.

Batch Sparge 17 quarts at 170F to 175F for 30 minutes.

Total wort collected is about 6.5 gallons

HOPS:
Centennial 10% AA 2 ounces at 60 minutes left in boil (55.54 IBU)
Centennial 10% AA 1 ounce at 15 minutes left in boil (13.81 IBU)
Centennial 10% AA 1 ounce at 5 minutes left in boil (5.47 IBU)
1 Tsp Irish Moss at 15 minutes left in boil.
Dry Hop:
1 ounce of Centennial at day 21 or 7 days before cold crash to bottle/keg

I cold crash this for by packing in ice for 24 hours before racking to bottle bucket and prime with 4.25 Ounces of brown sugar boiled with2 cups of water.

Made this multiple times and really love it. I try to keep this around at all time. Just a great IPA.

Why the double decoction? Is it to help with fermentablety because of the large amount of crystal. It seems like this is a malt forward IPA.

I do a mostly centennial (bittered w/ magnum) IPA with 5% C-60 and a single mash rest at 150F and it turns out nice and dry with 130+ calculated IBUs. It is like a smaller Stone Ruination. I love Centennial aroma. I want to try a Bell's Two Hearted but we don't get it in Texas. I think it is an all centennial beer.

What's that centinnial IBA in your sig all about?

Why the double decoction? Is it to help with fermentablety because of the large amount of crystal. It seems like this is a malt forward IPA.

I do a mostly centennial (bittered w/ magnum) IPA with 5% C-60 and a single mash rest at 150F and it turns out nice and dry with 130+ calculated IBUs. It is like a smaller Stone Ruination. I love Centennial aroma. I want to try a Bell's Two Hearted but we don't get it in Texas. I think it is an all centennial beer.

What's that centinnial IBA in your sig all about?

The double decoction is to help with flavor and fermentables because of the high crystal and to help to gelantize more of the oatmeal to add both dextrins and fermentable sugar. It comes out a little creamier than most IPA's but the not to much malt forward... actually very balanced. This was based on a two hearted clone.. for two hearted ale use 1 lb of 60 instead of the 40 and use some carapils instead of the oatmeal. Mash at 150 for 60. According to Bell's the Two Hearted Ale is 2-row, crystal for color some type of dextrin malt and all centennial hops and Bell's yeast (I harvest from their Brown or Amber).
They shoot for an OG of 1.060 and an IBU between 55 and 60. Founder's Centennial IPA is very similar but higher OG and Higher IBU.
The Centennial IBA (India Brown Ale) is the same recipe with 6 Ounces of Briess Special Roast Malt and 1 Ounce of Briess Dark Chocolate Malt. That is still carbonating in bottles (1 week old). When I bottled it I was great, cannot wait for it to finish conditioning.

I am totally head over heels in love with Centennial Hops, flavor and aroma. Just received a pound of them from Freshhops....

Also I just like to do decoctions... do them on almost all of my recipes...
It really makes an oatmeal stout creamy and smooth (brewing one of them this weekend).

Back