Did I just waste my money on BMC swill! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Did I just waste my money on BMC swill!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
tnaratil
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Aquashicola, PA`

So me and the wifey bought a kegerator and it has been stocked with east coast micro brew deliciousness since its purchase. We have a ball exploring beers. Well she loves the wheat beers and the local distributor had a sixtel of Blue Moon Belgian White ($63 bucks). So I figured what the heck I'll give it a try again. I knew it was a Coors product but I figured it was a small division of Coors where it actually might be good. WRONG! This stuff tastes like Keystone Light with some orange zest in it. It looks like cloudy Coors light and has a 10 second head. The smell is nice but is followed by Coors stink. I even cranked up the PSI and am running it as close to freezing to try and change it. I hoping tonight the beginning of my vacation some supernatural crap happened in that keg. Its like everything Coors touches has a remaining stink to it. Like the tanks that brewed Coors Light weren't cleaned right before the batch of Blue Moon.

I COULD of GOT A FREAKING GREAT IPA FOR $5 MORE DAMN!!!!!

RANT OVER

Is this a bad batch or is it all like this? I remember it tasted good, but I also drank BMCs as a go to beer back then.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
GodsStepBrother

Recipes 

Apr 2009
, Texas
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Recently I had a party and someone played a cruel joke on me. They left 4 six packs of Leinenkugel's honey wheat and berry something. Man this stuff is horrendous, I cannot believe they even sell it, worse than Sam Adams fruit beers. I invited my fiancés friends, I offered one to them to see if they would like it and they happened to love it. They all got drunk and I got the space in my fridge to fill with good beer.

Regardless you’re still out the money you put in. Invite some people over to kill that thing.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
tnaratil
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Aquashicola, PA`

Hahaha We already invited some beer crushers over to vanquish the demon!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 213 Times on 166 Posts

I always wonder what the attraction the Blue Moon is. Especially when people on this forum ask for "Blue Moon clone" recipes. Why clone a crappy version of the style? BierMuncher has a great Belgian Wit, made with fresh spices and orange zest. Check it out here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/just...ay-pics-99893/

Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
Hefanatic
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Mesa, Az
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't mind Blue Moon so much personally. It's not a great beer IMO, but I have had far far worse beer made by craft brewers. Obviously there is a large part of subjectivity here. Some people think Pliny is Gods gift to beer, and others think it is piss. I brewed a blue moon clone, and I personally prefer it to actual Blue Moon. Fresh ingredients plays a huge part in this though. I don't drink BMC in general, but if it has to be BMC I would prefer Blue Moon over almost anything else.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2650 Times on 1459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsStepBrother View Post
Invite some people over to kill that thing.
That solves the getting rid of the swill part.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5106 Times on 3453 Posts

I love Blue Moon! It's a nice AMERICAN WIT. My only complaint is that they call it a Belgian Wit, but don't use a belgian yeast.

But you know if you had brewed this up yourself, it would have cost about $15 and you could make it the way you want.

Maybe next time buy a bottle of Blue Moon for $1.50 and see if it's any good before buying a whole keg?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
SwampassJ

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post

Maybe next time buy a bottle of Blue Moon for $1.50 and see if it's any good before buying a whole keg?
This is the best advice anyone can give you on beer. It's like buying a case instead of a 6 pack of beers you've never had before. Where I live we're lucky enough to be able to split up the 6 packs and get single bottles in certain shops (at a price increase) to be able to try new things. I would never buy a random keg of something I have never had.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #10
spazzy
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Oshkosh, WI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
This is the best advice anyone can give you on beer. It's like buying a case instead of a 6 pack of beers you've never had before. Where I live we're lucky enough to be able to split up the 6 packs and get single bottles in certain shops (at a price increase) to be able to try new things. I would never buy a random keg of something I have never had.
I love mix and match 6 packs of craft brews for 7.99!