No address on homebrew websites? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No address on homebrew websites?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,640
Liked 1585 Times on 1304 Posts



Why do a lot of homebrew supply website omit any reference as to where they are located? Or make it very difficult to find on their site?

Sometimes I am looking for a place that is close to me so that shipping will not be a week or more. Shipping yeast in mid summer comes to mind.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts


Are you sure the one's that don't show an address have a brick and mortar establishment, or are they online retail only? A lot of the one's online are just that, virtual stores, they don't have an actual shop. Some are both, but there are quite alot of online only places these days.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,640
Liked 1585 Times on 1304 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Are you sure the one's that don't show an address have a brick and mortar establishment, or are they online retail only? A lot of the one's online are just that, virtual stores, they don't have an actual shop. Some are both, but there are quite alot of online only places these days.
My point being is that if I need something for brewing on the weekend and it's Monday, I don't want to order and find out it ships from California. I live in Rhode Island. And I don't want to pay for expedited shipping.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Stow, MA
Posts: 17,169
Liked 2927 Times on 2186 Posts


One thing you can try is to use a domain registration search - like using this site - and plug in the domain name for the vendor. It will often resolve to the location of the owner...

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
collingswood, nj
Posts: 5,878
Liked 1145 Times on 778 Posts


Most of the time if you look on the website and find the "contact us" area it will give the phone # and the address.

If it does not I usually will not buy from them. I also like to know where they are shipping from.

It is fine to be internet only, but not invisible.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,359
Liked 286 Times on 233 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
One thing you can try is to use a domain registration search - like using this site - and plug in the domain name for the vendor. It will often resolve to the location of the owner...

Cheers!
Tried it on my website. Got my name correct, but it has me living in Sunny Valley Calf. Yea right, I'm about 1000 miles south west
__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting:
Bottled conditioning: Black IPA
Bottled in the refe: Old Glory Stout
Bottled in the refe: American Imperial Stout
Bottled in the refer: Dunkelweizen
Largering in refer: Oktoberfest

.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
FrayedKnotBeer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Newport, RI, USA
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
My point being is that if I need something for brewing on the weekend and it's Monday, I don't want to order and find out it ships from California. I live in Rhode Island. And I don't want to pay for expedited shipping.
Hey have you checked out Basement Brewhaus - Providence, Rhode Island up in Prov? Their hours kind of suck but I'm going to try to make it up there after Thanksgiving some time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
day_trippr
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Stow, MA
Posts: 17,169
Liked 2927 Times on 2186 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
Tried it on my website. Got my name correct, but it has me living in Sunny Valley Calf. Yea right, I'm about 1000 miles south west
"Often", not "always"...

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
Erroneous
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 605
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10
Why do a lot of homebrew supply website omit any reference as to where they are located? Or make it very difficult to find on their site?

Sometimes I am looking for a place that is close to me so that shipping will not be a week or more. Shipping yeast in mid summer comes to mind.
Most of the places I shop at I know where it is. Btw you can always pick up a copy of a recent byo magazine and in the back it has a bunch of homebrew shops listed by state. Or the homebrewer association has a list on their site. If you are ponying up for expedited i'm sure shopping for the cheapest isn't your primary concern.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,640
Liked 1585 Times on 1304 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkBeerandSail View Post
Hey have you checked out Basement Brewhaus - Providence, Rhode Island up in Prov? Their hours kind of suck but I'm going to try to make it up there after Thanksgiving some time.
I started online first with Northern Brewer where I bought my Deluxe Kit then other items from other sites.

I haven't been to Basement BrewHaus... Yet! I will soon.
I went to Blackstone Valley Brewing supply last week. Had a nice visit and bought a fermenting bucket and some other supplies.

Still, I work in retail so I often can not match the hours these guys are open when I need something fast. Neither of them have online ordering. I have not contacted either about shipping.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Homebrew Supply Websites ryser2k General Beer Discussion 483 08-18-2015 02:24 AM
Best Homebrew Supply Websites Boogogee General Beer Discussion 15 08-21-2011 02:50 PM
Beer Blogs and Websites Pappers_ General Beer Discussion 31 04-26-2011 04:36 PM
Audio: Jim Koch of Sam Adams NHC Address olllllo General Beer Discussion 1 06-25-2008 06:58 PM
Show me your brewery websites! brewhead General Beer Discussion 2 07-13-2005 12:13 PM


Forum Jump