Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #271
willamettevalleyamature
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger betrunkener View Post
Guinness and Killian's Red are my all time favorite beers (sticking with my heritage I guess) , so thanks for posting.

Two questions though- You said a buttload of starter but didn't specify- how big of a batch of starter did you use?

And two- It doesn't need to be a Killian's clone, but does anyone here know where to find a good Irish Red recipe?
1lb caramel 20 l 1 40+ 1 60 l...and 7 lbs knew amber extract...hallertou ...

Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #272
2xbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to do a ten gallon batch of this beer for a picnic i'm having and going to travel with it in corny kegs. What do you think the best way to serve it on Co2 in a picnic? I'll have on ice with a picnic tap what psi should i keep it at? Any suggestions for a more elaborate setups will be appreciated.
Thanks for the help guys!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #273
ny101
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 20

So I have brewed this recipe 3 different ways. From my experimentation and tasting side by side with guiness from a can, I can tell you the following:

1) British Ale yeast will get you closer to the AA and flavor than either Irish Ale yeast or British Ale Yeast II.
2) In a side by side comparison, this recipe will exhibit an obvious bitterness over actual Guinness. I suggest a later hop addition or cutting the hops severely.
3) Mashing the Roasted Barley gives this recipe too much of a roasted flavor. I have studied up on this and apparently, Guinness is actually made by mashing the grain separately according to some rumors. This seems to make sense because when mashed with the grains it throws the PH way out of wack, and it also imparts an astringency that while interesting in character, is not present in actual Guinness.

4) If you are not trying to match Guinness very closly, I find this recipe superior in flavor, character, complexity, and aroma. You can safely ignore 1)-3). Bottle conditioned, I think Guinness from a can still has better mouth feel and head appearance / retention. I'm also not sure if I'm being cynical here but I feel like Guinness may be using xantham gum or some other heading agents get better head retention.
Godot Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #274
2xbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding honey to guinness

Hey fellas I made this recipe but thought to try adding a lb of honey. How do ya think it will come out.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #275
ny101
Recipes 

I think adding honey is an interesting concept. If I was to worry about anything, I would think that it might end up tasting a little more hot then the style calls for.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #276
dphornguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Reading all of this, it seems that the concensus is that:

1. This recipe is good and tastes like guinness after a few months of aging.
2. The first few months have a strong acid "twang" until it mellows.
3. The beer has poor head retention.

PErsonally I would like a guinness-sooner brew. Anyone try tweaking the recipe with less acidulated malt up front and adding some other grain for head? Also, I felt that the flavor profile was a little weak and could have more robustness to compare to guinness. Anyone try upping the roasted barley content, lower the acid malt and throwing some carapils or similar in for head retention?
- Dry Stout (DOB 10/19) gone already?! :-(
- English Dry Cider (DOB 10/25)
- Citra Correction (DOB 10/12 and 11/5 correct)

Old 12-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #277
ny101
Recipes 

I think you could probably do it by mashing the roasted barley separately at a lower temp or adding it very late in the mash or for the sparge only.

Some other notes: I had 0 issues with head retention, the original recipe will give you that. The head will stay forever too. It's just not as creamy as what they have with Guinness...

I also discovered that as long as you pour the beer very rigorously, you will get similar mouthfeel as well.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #278
smagic14
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For 10 gallons Biermuncher said a "massive starter" from the different online calculators I have been seeing anywhere from 2 to 3.5 liters.

What size did you guys use?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Good thing the Badgers play at 11 so I don't feel bad having a drink at 8AM

You can't drink all Day if you don't start early!

Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #279
CaptainArgo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm trying to create a Guinness clone for my friend who LOVES the stuff. From what I gather, this is a bit roastier than standard nitro Guinness (possibly just because it isn't on nitro?), and I've been contemplating ways to smooth the flavor out to mimic the standard nitrogen-ized Draught product while keeping the beer very dark.

It was helpful to see the experiment with cold steeping since that was one thing I had thought of, but it sounds like it didn't quite come out as intended. One idea I stumbled on, though... has anyone tried swapping maybe half the roasted barley for some de-bittered / de-husked Carafa III? I know it's a German product and not necessarily part of the actual recipe, but it sounded like the less sharp roasted flavor and very dark color might help a non-nitrogen brew come closer to the smoothness of a regular nitro-tapped Guinness. Is there anyone who has used Carafa III that can comment on whether the flavor would be appropriate?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #280
brodacious
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

By the Gods I love this friggen beer.

I brewed it last year as my 3rd AG and first 10 gallon batch.
My old apartment was limited on space and 2 carboys in the spare bedroom in a large bureau thing.
Due to having only a single thermostat which resided in the apartment upstairs, the room reached over 90 while I was away.
1 of the carboys tasted so terrible I dumped it. The other was a friggen dream.
Not sure if it was an infection or the heat or what.
Had a st.pats party and the 5 gallons evaporated quite quickly.
The keezer was just raw wood and I kept joking how it was a fully-operations-battle-star.

Broke it out again for the 2nd annual St.Pats party this coming Sat due to popular demand. I was storing this beer in my back room with the thermo set to 65 and the beer fermented out at that until I went skiing and came back to 50 degree beer and a hosed thermo. IDK if thats what caused it but I finished high at just a shade under 1.02. Tasted good and I was running out of time so I said Eff it and kegged it.

Just poured it off nitro and my I must say, its fan-****ing-tastic.
Its SPOT on to the original. I'm going to have to get a few nitro cans and do a side-by-side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	297
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	185243