Irish Stout Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP004 (Irish Ale)
Yeast Starter
Massive (THis is a 10 Gallon Batch)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
23.8SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 64 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days at 64 degrees
Additional Fermentation
Keg Conditioned till I can't stand it anymore
Named for Arthur Guinness and his silky smooth contribution to the world.

I have a few extra cornies on the way to the house so I'm going to try and get two of these filled and set aside. I'd love to let these guys condition for 3-4 months before tapping them next fall. I'm not sure that's gonna happen though...:eek:

Many thanks to Dude (and others), whose guidance helped me keep this Guinness Clone true to it's simple roots...

Dude said:
Guinness is about as simple as you can get...Guinness is pale malt, approximately 25% flaked barley and approximately 10% roasted barley.
Simple....

Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 23.8 SRM
Guiness_Color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 63.8 %
4.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 24.6 %
1.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 10.1 %
0.25 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 1.4 %

3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 31.2 IBU

1 Pkgs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004)
------------
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17.25 lb

Oh...and this just in for those wondering how this would stack up against other stout recipes:

Got second place with this beer in a recent home brew comp!

EdWort said:
Have you tapped this yet? If so, please let us know how it turned out.
Yes I did. Couldn't resist.

I can see now where the canned/bottled, local draft versions get mixed reviews from the folks who have tasted an "authentic" recipe.

This recipe was much roastier than I would have expected. Very good though.

I'd imagine that changing the grains ratio from 65% Pale, 25% Flaked Barley and 10% Roasted Barley to 70%, 25%, 5% would tame down and mellow the flavor.

I happen to like this recipe and will likely brew it again. It came in a bit higher ABV% than I would have thought...around 5.2%. Turns out that my Bass & Co Ale is also ready to tap and I've been serving up authentic Black & Tans which are outstanding. I'm willing to bet that this combo tastes even better during the cold winter months.

BlackTan1.JPG

BlackTan4.JPG

I brewed one similar to this. I made one error though. I scaled a 10 gallon recipe down to 5 gallon. At the last minute I decided to add the acid malt. I put the full .25 lb in. I am hoping it is not too sour. It did not taste bad after the boil, so I will see.

I racked onto a Safale 04 yeast cake I had from the Irish Red I brewed the week before. My OG came in at 1.040.

Dry Irish Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.25
Anticipated OG: 1.041 Plato: 10.18
Anticipated SRM: 37.2
Anticipated IBU: 44.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
64.9 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
10.8 1.00 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575
21.6 2.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
2.7 0.25 lbs. Sauer(acid) Malt 1.035 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 44.8 60 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

wolf08gang said:
I brewing this one today. I'll post back when it's in my glass.
Keep us posted on the brew process.

My SWMBO had a couple of work friends over Friday night and of course I had to give their husbands the brew shop and sampling tour. When we came across this beer, the guys took a swig of the "black gold" and that was it...

They pert near poslished off nearly half a keg in about 30 minutes. It was much more of a success than I would have thought.

Guinness and Killian's Red are my all time favorite beers (sticking with my heritage I guess) , so thanks for posting.

Two questions though- You said a buttload of starter but didn't specify- how big of a batch of starter did you use?

And two- It doesn't need to be a Killian's clone, but does anyone here know where to find a good Irish Red recipe?

I love it! It needs to age though. I tried it two weeks in the bottle. Not so hot. Three weeks... not much better. Let it sit in the bottle at least a month, maybe more.

It's smooth and delicious. The only change I might consider is maybe to add some carafoam as it doesn't hold it's head very long. I might give that a try next time. I don't know though, it's awful good as is. It's definitely going to be one of my regulars.

I'm drinking a batch made using the basics of this recipe. Poured off of a nitro tap, this stuff is heaven in a glass.

5923-100_0804.JPG

Boldone....any update on your Guinness with the acid malt??? I am a big Guinness fan and think the acid malt just might be that "missing link"

Is it possible to force carbonate this stuff with beer gas mix? What did you put your pressure at?

BeerStone said:
Is it possible to force carbonate this stuff with beer gas mix? What did you put your pressure at?
You can't carbonate with beer gas. Nitrogen doesn't abosrb into the beer. Beer gas is used for pusing the beer.

In a lot of older pubs, the distance the beer has to travel from casks to the taps is quite a long distance and requires substantial pressure. To apply that much pressure using CO2 only would over carbonate the beer...hence...beer gas mix. It can be set at a higher pressure to push beer over long distance, without absorbing, and over carbing the beer.

Doesn't beer gas have CO2 in it? I was under the impression that the mixture did indeed push as you say, but the CO2 component still imparted enough for a low carb stout.

So what would be the process to dispense a kegged batch with beer gas? Would we use priming sugar at kegging time, then push it out at the same pressure we usually run our Guinness at?

Thanks a lot for the recipe. My buddies and I usually crush through a keg of Guinness every two weeks (read $320/month). We have just started getting in to all grain so it seems cost effective to try to clone the goodness now. We could simultaneously double our consumption and halve our costs!!

BeerStone said:
So what would be the process to dispense a kegged batch with beer gas? Would we use priming sugar at kegging time, then push it out at the same pressure we usually run our Guinness at?
Priming the stout with corn sugar is an alternative. Many breweries use "cask conditioning" to carbonate. They simply pressurize their fermenters when the beer is about 85-90% fermented, and teh ramining fermentation under pressure carboantes the beer.

This recipe is pretty well suited for priming.

If you use priming sugar should you be worried about cloging the nitro faucet since it has those tiny hole that the beer passes though?

bump. i'm very interested in this recipe. how would a stout faucet work without the beergas? would it still have that creamy head like in bufords pic?

Since it seems like it's rather hard to get a small 5lb canisister of beer gas filled around me, I've been looking into getting a "variable flow" stout faucet. They have a valve in back to restrict the flow before it hits the restricter plate (and from what I've heard, is good for CO2 only systems).

I'm interested in trying this recipe.....but am wondering what kind of Guinness is it supposed to memic? I'm assuming you were going for the draft version, BierMuncher? I really like the extra stout version that's in bottles.....that one might use the full 25% flaked barley, and I do remember reading an interview with one of the chief brewers who maintained that they used a sour *special ingredient*. I'm thinking I might try your first recipe and adding either sour (pasterized) run-off after fermentation or just soured guiness right into the wort. Worth a try! I think one of the problems about trying to make a Guinness is that it's like Coca-Cola: they make so many different versions. I'd like to try the Nigerian version at some point....since they have laws against barley, Guinness substitutes sorghum.

Oh, but first I've got to try making an awsome all grain imperial stout......man, I need to get more beer taps!!!:)

How close does an acid malt taste compared to souring? Wonder if souring instead of the small amount of acid malt would mellow out the flaked barley and fermentables and give it more of a caramel type body. Definitely *beer* for thought, and something I might try (doing one brew with the acid malt and another just souring.....heck, try another with both!). Thanks again for this invaluable recipe:mug:

I brewed this a few months ago and today it tastes just like a guiness would. Its really spot on. My experience was that the acid malt was slightly overpowering through the first 3 months of the aging process. If given a proper conditioning time, it is well worth the wait though.

I used about .2lbs of acid malt, I may consider using a little less next time as well. You are really only looking for a hint of that sour flavor.

How would this brew do bottle carbed? I'm guessing it will not be near as creamy as on a nitro with a restrictor?

How would this brew do bottle carbed? I'm guessing it will not be near as creamy as on a nitro with a restrictor?

I'd say cut back the priming sugar to 1/2 cup and give the bottles longer to carbonate.

In any case, a good aggressive poor out of the bottle will knock a lot of gas out which is th whole point of a restrictor plate.

Is there a way to get a similar beer with extract? I love Guinness but as a very new brewer I am limited to extract capabilities right now. I put the recipe in Beersmith and used their little conversion deal and it gave me this for a 5 gal batch..

Ingredients

5.72 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 66.57 %
2.09 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 24.38 %
0.78 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9.05 %
3.86 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.12 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 30.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 23.8 SRM Color: Color

Does that seem like it would work out ok? I would probably use 4.6 Lbs of DME instead and reduce the amount of hops a bit.

Is there a way to get a similar beer with extract? I love Guinness but as a very new brewer I am limited to extract capabilities right now. I put the recipe in Beersmith and used their little conversion deal and it gave me this for a 5 gal batch..

Ingredients

5.72 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 66.57 %
2.09 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 24.38 %
0.78 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9.05 %
3.86 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.12 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 30.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 23.8 SRM Color: Color

Does that seem like it would work out ok? I would probably use 4.6 Lbs of DME instead and reduce the amount of hops a bit.
That looks like a good recipe. I'd round your ingredients though. :D

Thanks, now where I can find East Kent Golding, is there a sub? Can't wait to get this one going, wont be for another few weeks though.

I stoped by my LHBS today he said he had quite a few of the pellets and said he was going to order more. I shoulda snached some up but I didn't have cash on hand.

Thanks, now where I can find East Kent Golding, is there a sub? Can't wait to get this one going, wont be for another few weeks though.

Out of necessity and frugality, I have switched my Guinness style brew over to Willamette and no one has complained about the switch. I think it's still wicked good.

BYO lists U.S. Golding, Whitbread Golding Variety & U.K. Progress as subs.
http://byo.com/referenceguide/hops/hops2.html

Also, can I steep the acid malt with similar effects? I think beer smith subed the acid malt with more carafoam. I think ill try this version, it sounds simple and good.

EDIT: I did steep 1 ounce of Acid Malt with it last week. I took my one week sample/gravity reading today and it already tasted damn close to a Guinness, I can not wait to get it bottled and carbed!

EDIT 2 Aug 11, 2008: Just bottled this today. Tasted pretty good although a bit sweet(probably because of priming sugar). Roastiness didnt come out quite as much as I think it aught to but I will reserve that final judgement in 3-4 weeks. Color seemed just a smidgen light. I can not wait to drink this beer and I think in the end it is going to be pretty damn close to Guinness.

Muncher.

As a person that wants to brew up a stout but that does not have nitro - just reg ol co2. Is the priming the keg the best way to do this?

Also those of you who have brewed this and served it with co2.. how does that taste and is it "worth" it .. so to speak?

Thanks.

As a person that wants to brew up a stout but that does not have nitro - just reg ol co2. Is the priming the keg the best way to do this?
Also those of you who have brewed this and served it with co2.. how does that taste and is it "worth" it .. so to speak?
It's worth it. You'll miss some of the creamy mouthfeel that nitro pushed can have, but using lower carbonation and a heavy pour will knock alot of CO2 out of solution and give you some of that missing mouthfeel.

However, you'll not get that trademark thick pill of foam with CO2 that you get from a stout faucet.

I just put 5 gallons of this in the carboy today. Except for a couple minor glitches it went well. Now for the waiting.......

I'm brewing this one today (mashing right now). I'm looking forward to having this one on tap next to my Irish Red for St. Patty's day. I changed the grain ration to reduce the Roasted Barley a little bit. I'm also using UK Phoenix hops in place of Goldings.

It's worth it. You'll miss some of the creamy mouthfeel that nitro pushed can have, but using lower carbonation and a heavy pour will knock alot of CO2 out of solution and give you some of that missing mouthfeel.

However, you'll not get that trademark thick pill of foam with CO2 that you get from a stout faucet.

I just bottle my stouts and give them a heavy pour. It looks and tastes similar to the co2 cans when you pour in this manner (in my opinion)

I used Carafoam in my extract version. I think it will work just fine as both are there to add body.

Back