Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 7 month old rinsed yeast, to flush or not to flush.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
jfrank85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default 7 month old rinsed yeast, to flush or not to flush.

Just bought a new fridge and discovered two quart jars of washed wyeast 1275 dated 4/25/11 in the old unit. Still viable?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 80

You probably could get a starter to take off with it. Is it really worth it?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
TheBrewinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Make a starter and find out. I just used 7 months old bells yeast, the starer took about 36 hours to take off but it did and my pale ale is now happily fermenting away with that yeast.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous
You probably could get a starter to take off with it. Is it really worth it?
Yeast are people too darnit!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 2

buy a backypackdet of dry yeast, do a starter and see if it takes off. If not use the backup.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/test...bility-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

I'd give it a go.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I just finished stepping up a vial of WLP007 that had an expiration date of 9-25-10 so it was an 18 month old yeast. The tube had never been opened and was always kept in my refrigerator. I made a first step of 400ml and a second one at 1750ml. . After decanting off the liquid and transferring to two mason jars I ended with around 1 trillion cells, 500 million in each jar. I use a stirplate and both steps were around 48 hours each. If your yeast has been kept at fridge temps I would definitely give the 1275 a go.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Yeast kept that long not only have low viability but very low glycogen levels. The daughter cells health will probably suffer. I'm not saying it can't be nursed back into a healthy culture but the work Wyeast does is certainly worth the price. But then I also think if I have to rinse it it's not worth it. I like to just do a string of six or so beers repitching fresh slurry so the actual cost of yeast is only about a dollar a batch.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #9
AntX
Recipes 

OP's post, in my head, translated to:

"Found an ancient civilization of small living things inside a frozen box. Should I try to help them repopulate?"

WELL OF COURSE YES, DUMASS!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #10
Malticulous
Recipes 

You do realize that every brewery produces much more yeast than they can use. It's part of the trash.