Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hoppy Dark Wheat?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
ForummotoX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hoppy Dark Wheat?

Hey all I have been extract brewing for about a year, and have done 10 batches or so. I was wondering if anyone had any input and possible suggestions for a hopped up darker wheat. I was thinking of using a simple wheat extract, adding a dark extract (possibly munich), and using chinook hops as the bittering, with liberty as the aroma. I am not sure what grains to steep it with since this is still all kind of experimental. Maybe this sounds off base, and please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here's a rough guide I came up with based on your information:

5 Gallons
5-6 lbs Wheat extract
1 lbs Munich extract
0-1/2 lb Crystal 60
6-8 oz Chocolate Rye, Chocolate Wheat or Cara Special II
Danstar Munich yeast

Extract can be dry and/or liquid, just won't need as much if dry. You can use some crystal or leave it out, I wouldn't go over 1/2 lb. All 3 of the roasted malts listed are huskless to minimize the acrid bite, pick one. Traditionally dark wheats get their color from Munich and dark crystal but a Black IPA approach using the huskless roasted grains seemed more fitting. I put Danstar Munich for the yeast which for an American style wheat. You can certainly use Nottingham or US-05 for more of a pale ale profile. I left out the hops but just hop it like an Am. pale ale or an IPA.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
ForummotoX
Recipes 

Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for! I'm excited to try to make this beer...it sounds like it oughta be a hit with my family and buddies