Originally Posted by seatbelt123
Wow. That's faster than I expected. And no "scorching"?
None so far.
Now the first brew in it was an extract IPA. What I did was heat up enough boil volume water to 150. Once it reached 150 I put the cleaned and sanitized gallon jug into my old 5 gallon kettle and added enough water to cover the extract and let that sit for 10-15 minutes. Once the extract was warmed up I dumped it into the 5 gallon kettle to mix it around, then dumped that into my now boiling brew kettle. I did this because I figured I'd have a hard time trying to mix extract in the brew kettle with the elements in there and might possibly have some extract sticking to the element(s) and scorching. Worked like a charm.
I brewed the Hefeweizen last weekend and during my tasting I haven't tasted any scorching in that either.
I am doing a cream ale for some BMC friends at the end of the month, so if I do have any issues with scorching I'll know on that batch.
I do a 1 hour, 150 degree Oxyclean soak on the kettle after brewing to get to all of the remnants as well.