Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How To Pasteurize Fruit???
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
spiffywiffy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tacoma, wa
Posts: 23
Default How To Pasteurize Fruit???

Hey everyone, this is my first at attempting to do more them just a simple extract kit. Im making a hard cider for my wife and want to know exactly what "pasteurizing" the fruit is lol.. Im going to be using store bought frozen blackberries.. this a 6 gallon batch. I've searched around on the forums and with my luck can't seem to find exactly how to do it. I want to add it to my primary fermentation considering this will be a "still" cider not "sparkling" because i don't have excess to Co2 kind of stuff. Im using a Vinoka CiderPress Cider Kit with Hard Lemonade flavoring . I just want to keep the SWBMO happy, you know?


spiffywiffy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,627
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

For milk, the process involves heating to 145 degrees and holding at that temperature for 30 minutes, or heating to 162 degrees and holding for 16 seconds.

I'm not sure about fruit. Howevr, frozen blackberries may already be treated with potassium sorbate (or is it potassium metabisulfite?). Check the label.


__________________
Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin
billtzk is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,712
Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffywiffy
Hey everyone, this is my first at attempting to do more them just a simple extract kit. Im making a hard cider for my wife and want to know exactly what "pasteurizing" the fruit is lol.. Im going to be using store bought frozen blackberries.. this a 6 gallon batch. I've searched around on the forums and with my luck can't seem to find exactly how to do it. I want to add it to my primary fermentation considering this will be a "still" cider not "sparkling" because i don't have excess to Co2 kind of stuff. Im using a Vinoka CiderPress Cider Kit with Hard Lemonade flavoring . I just want to keep the SWBMO happy, you know?
Pasteurizing the fruit is unnecessary. Do you have Star San? You can always soak the fruit in some Star San if you're really concerned...

Couple things...

1) If you are adding fruit to the primary, do it after the cider has finished fermenting. Not only will it help prevent infection, but less of the fruit's aromatics will blow off.

2) You can make sparkling cider without any kegging/CO2 setup by adding some sugar to the cider right before bottling.
emjay is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,759
Liked 428 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Pasteurizing the fruit is unnecessary.
The alcohol will probably protect the cider from most things, but you can still get an infection.

I like to add the fruit to a little water and heat gently to about 150 F and hold for about 10 minutes to pasturize the fruit.. Don't heat too high or you will set pectins and get a cloudy cider.
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
 
sfrisby's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,782
Liked 263 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

I like to do what Calder described but in a food saver bag so I don't have to add the water to the fermenter and dilute the beer.
sfrisby is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
spiffywiffy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tacoma, wa
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Pasteurizing the fruit is unnecessary. Do you have Star San? You can always soak the fruit in some Star San if you're really concerned...

Couple things...

1) If you are adding fruit to the primary, do it after the cider has finished fermenting. Not only will it help prevent infection, but less of the fruit's aromatics will blow off.

2) You can make sparkling cider without any kegging/CO2 setup by adding some sugar to the cider right before bottling.
I heard if there are certain ingrediants in the cider it will cause the bottles to explode
spiffywiffy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,421
Liked 6046 Times on 4309 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

Default

Fruit is commonly sanitized with sulfites- one campden tablet crushed and dissolved in a little (1/4 cup) boiling water and poured over the fruit. Cover, and let sit 24 hours and then use the fruit and juice.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,712
Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Fruit is commonly sanitized with sulfites- one campden tablet crushed and dissolved in a little (1/4 cup) boiling water and poured over the fruit. Cover, and let sit 24 hours and then use the fruit and juice.
This.

I mean, if heating was a desirable way to sanitize fruit, you'd see winemakers and cidermakers heating their juice/must (which is EXTRA-vulnerable, since there's no alcohol yet), and yet it never happens.
emjay is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,712
Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffywiffy

I heard if there are certain ingrediants in the cider it will cause the bottles to explode
Um... the same things that can make beer bottles explode, really - infections, adding too much sugar, unfinished fermentation.

Some people are paranoid that cider that's been stabilized with sorbate and sulfites (in order to backsweeten) will suddenly start fermenting again, but that's not really relevant, because anybody who stabilizes their cider and doesn't have a keg setup is actually intending for their cider to be STILL, not sparkling.

So yeah. Just make sure that the cider's done fermenting, and then prime with sugar like you would with beer.
emjay is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
MrManifesto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 433
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

i think freezing them (makes them easier to "juice" for the yeast) and then simmering them for around 20 min should take care of most anything.


MrManifesto is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Add fruit to primary or rack beer on top of fruit in secondary nate_ive General Techniques 72 07-24-2015 01:42 AM
adding fruit and or fruit juice to the secondary deanocamino General Techniques 1 02-12-2015 11:16 PM
Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit? 32indian General Techniques 131 11-08-2014 06:37 PM
Making a Fruit Beer Without any additional Fermentation from the Fruit?? (Campden?) fastricky General Techniques 29 09-05-2012 11:50 PM
Pasteurize or stabilize when backsweetening sideshow_ben General Techniques 3 03-22-2011 03:50 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS