What temp to dry hop at? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What temp to dry hop at?
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
wedge421
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What temp to dry hop at?

I usually just throw my dry hops in around 68F or so. Should I be chilling the beer down to around 58ish so that I dont get that vegetable flavor? I never considered doing that until someone asked me as what temp I dry hop at. Any thoughts on this?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It does seem that if you dryhop at higher temps for an extended time, some hops may throw grassy flavors. That being said, you should have no problem going 5-7 days at room temp. I dry hop in the keg at 42f for weeks on end with no problem.

_

Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 2561 Times on 1943 Posts

I've always dry hopped in the upper 60s, always with pellets, never gotten any grassy/veggie notes...

Cheers!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
jsled
Recipes 

I was listening to CYBI: The Dankness last weekend, and I can't remember who said they dry-hop at fermentation temps, and had a muted character from dry-hopping at cold-crash temps. I was thinking of doing this for a split batch experiment at some point in the future. I've always dry-hopped in the keg in the keezer.

Reason: link formatting/syntax.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 7289 Times on 5155 Posts
Likes Given: 2069

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsled View Post
I was listening to <a href="http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/813">CYBI: The Dankness</a> last weekend, and I can't remember who said they dry-hop at fermentation temps, and had a muted character from dry-hopping at cold-crash temps. I was thinking of doing this for a split batch experiment at some point in the future. I've always dry-hopped in the keg in the keezer.
That seems to be my experience as well. Dryhopping at 65-68 for a week gives "in your face" hops aroma that I love. Adding the hops to the keg and keeping at 40 degrees, even for 3 weeks, gives great hop flavor and aroma but more muted and definitely not vegetal or grassy.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
MaltnHops
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

I dry hop between 64 and 68 and I get amazing aroma/flavor and no grassy or veggie out of it.
Keg #1: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout
Keg #2: Explosive IPA
Keg #3: Explosive IPA
Keg #4: Nothing
Fermenting: Nothing
Next On Deck: Maibock?
Brewed in 2012: 65 gallons
Brewed in 2013: 55 gallons
Brewed in 2014: 25 gallons

Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
azoteman213
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hello everyone. I recently did an IPA dry-hopped with 3 oz of noble hops (1 oz each Hallertau, Czech Saaz, Tettnanger) I had it for a week at mid 70's temperature and I barely got any aroma (i.e. I had to swirl my wine glass and sniff like crazy to percieve any aroma, although the little aroma I did percieve was quite pleasant).

I thought that by dry-hopping cooler next time I could get more aroma, but if it gets muted with the cold (from what I have just read here) I may not want to try this and just dry-hop at fermentation temperature for two weeks instead of one. Maybe it also depends on the type of hops as well. (I must also mention I FWH with the same amounts and varieties of hops with no flameout or late additions, so I believe that what little aroma I got was from the dry-hops).

Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
wedge421
Recipes 

Cool, I think from now on ill set the fridge to 65 and dry hop my brains out

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Reviving this thread. Does temp fluctuation matter much assuming that fermentation is all but done when transferred to a secondary for dry hopping? I have one fermwrap, but was hoping to have my amber in the primary when my rye ipa is dry hopping in a secondary. Would need the temp control on the primary of the amber, leaving the dryhopping IPA w/o any temp control other than room temp (which shouldn't fluctuate wildly)

Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
wedge421
Recipes 

I think the consensus is that as long as the temps dont get to warm and you dont let the hops sit to long it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlin View Post
Reviving this thread. Does temp fluctuation matter much assuming that fermentation is all but done when transferred to a secondary for dry hopping? I have one fermwrap, but was hoping to have my amber in the primary when my rye ipa is dry hopping in a secondary. Would need the temp control on the primary of the amber, leaving the dryhopping IPA w/o any temp control other than room temp (which shouldn't fluctuate wildly)