Raging ***** Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
We are doing a Raging Beaaatch this weekend, got a solid recipe, but those of you who have brewed this beer, is there anything you would do different. Some of the numbers in brewsmith look a little different than the actual beer, but not worried about that... Thanx for any advice you can offer.

Grain Bill
———–
15.50 lb British Pale (Maris Otter)
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK
1.50 lb Crystal 40L
1.00 lb Cara-Pils
Hops Schedule
—————-
1.00 oz Warrior [17.20 %] @60 min
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.20 %] @30 min
0.50 oz Columbus [14.40 %] @30 min
1.10 oz Columbus [14.40 %] @15 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] @15 min
0.60 oz Columbus [14.40 %] @1 min
0.60 oz Amarillo [7.20 %] @1 min
2.00 oz Amarillo [7.20 %] Dry Hop for 11 days
Yeast
———
Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)
- 2L starter (2010.09.02)

That looks very similar to something I did in May, and I was very pleased with. Mine wasn't as much of a hop punch in the face like RB, but I used less hops than you and it was good nonetheless. The malt bill is nearly exactly what I did, but I used German pils malt instead of UK (its what I had) and I didn't use any Carapils. In retrospect it didn't need it, there was plenty of body left and it had good head retention.

Great.. ow we bought several bags of 2 row and we still have some left.... What would be the difference in the brew using the brewers Malt 2 row vs Marris otter?

how about some info:

Mast temp
Total boil time
SRM
IBU
OG
FG

Also, dry hop for 11 days, that is a bit long, as I have been told more than 7 days tends to give beer a grassy tang.

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Boil Time: 90 min
Expected IBU: 102
Expected SRM: 11
Measured OG = 1.082
Brewhouse Efficiency = 75%
FG = 1.018
ABV = 8.4%

- Mash in with 25qt water at 170F
- Mash temp after adding grains was 150F
- 1 hour mash, then added 2gal near-boiling water to bring temp up to 165F
- 10 min rest, then recirculate & collect roughly 5.5gal wort
- Added 1.5gal near-boiling water, recirculate, collect

and we have always hopped for at least two weeks, but I am willing to change it up... always more to learn

I would go off of your experience. If you've dry hopped for two weeks and it tasted great then why does it matter what somebody told someone else.

well, we did another recipe that weekend, but finally did this one around the first of the month... I may have a pic here something...

Just out of curiosity, why the 2 lbs of 2 row? Was it just laying around or were you trying to save the couple bux by not using MO? It doesn't seem like you would be able to taste it in the end.

how about some info:

Mast temp
Total boil time
SRM
IBU
OG
FG

Also, dry hop for 11 days, that is a bit long, as I have been told more than 7 days tends to give beer a grassy tang.

I leave hops in the keg (Amarillo, Centennial, Citra, things like that) for up to 2 months and have never detected any grassy tang.

Yeah. I think the key is in the yeast. I for a growler of RB from the brewery on Thursday(only 3 miles away:). And it was difficult to tell the difference. I upped the dry hop on the Amarillo just a bit is all I did differently.

S-

yup... this was fantastic... the real thing was a little more maltier, but we are doing a triple batch of this next time around

This was the beer that got me into brewing. First beer i did was the rb clone. Also living about 5 miles away. I believe next foam club meeting is at flying dog. Have to try this recipe out.

After working on this one a few times now...use The grain bill from the hopville site and the hops schedule/yeast from here.

S-

I made this clone but ended up with a little over 5 gallons rather than 6.

OG reads at 1.1 (yipes) so I'm wondering if I should water down the fermenter so they yeast can manage the sugar load without going over the alcohol limit.
(I'd still like to bottle condition.. haha)

Does this sound like an ok thing to do? I didn't realize so much would boil off - I lost probably over two gallons but it's a pretty wide pot so that could be why.

ANyone have ideas?

Yeah, they use a different yeast, grain and hops in that. I ended up using the Belgian and the hop schedule listed here and the grains from that recipe :)
Anyone have any ideas about the high OG issue i'm having? (two posts up)

Is this different from the cybi recipe, I thought they used a Belgian wit yeast in it?

Yeah you can dilute with water. Think about partial boil extract folks, that is part of their process - boil 3 gallons down to 2.5 and top off the fermenter with clean water. You might consider boiling it first so that it's sterile - but back in my partial boil days I used straight tap water and never had any infection issues.

Interestingly enough Flying Dog is releasing a homebrew kit for this in March, but you have to buy in person. They are not shipping so that's a no go for me. Would be interesting to see what they put together and compare it to these.

ddockery said:
Interestingly enough Flying Dog is releasing a homebrew kit for this in March, but you have to buy in person. They are not shipping so that's a no go for me. Would be interesting to see what they put together and compare it to these.

It's pretty awesome. I picked up the feb kit which was the el dorado clone kit. Comes with everything u need. Have that in primary now. I'll prob pick up the ragin kit next week and get it brewed and. I plan to harvest yeast for future brews. Ill keep everyone updated

The RB kit actually comes with the actual "El Diablo" liquid yeast, which is why they chose not to ship. If you want to risk the yeast dying...I'll ship you one:)

S-

The RB kit actually comes with the actual "El Diablo" liquid yeast, which is why they chose not to ship. If you want to risk the yeast dying...I'll ship you one:)

S-

I appreciate the offer, but I just brewed my own Belgian IPA 2 weeks ago. Hoping to end up somewhere between Raging ***** and Allagash Hugh Malone.

Let us know how that goes - was disappointed they aren't shipping the kits out at all.

FD has said if you want it shipped to you contact them and they will qoute you a price (at least that is what was posted on their FB page) overnighting a 15-20 lbs box gets rather pricey,

That's nice to know, but overnight seems like overkill. Yeast vials seem to do just fine with a couple of ice packs. Not trying to complain, because it's pretty awesome they are releasing these at all. It inspired me to make what I think will be a pretty tasty brew of my own too.

Brewed this recipe and had a bottle after one week and it was dead on!Forget the el diablo Wyeast 3522 does the job.

Brewed this recipe and had a bottle after one week and it was dead on!Forget the el diablo Wyeast 3522 does the job.

I'm about to brew this, and did the research. There are quite a few recipes out there including the CYBI one.

I agree on the 3522 but how can you say this recipe is dead on? FD lists the IBU as 60. This recipe claims to be 102, although BS calculates it a little lower. I've had the original quite a few times and the IBU is nowhere near 100. 60 sounds about right, and there must be some dry hopping done to get that in your face aroma.

I intend to brew it along the CYBI lines, but may be adding 1 pound of Carapils and/or mash at 153-154°F and use WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes) instead of WY3944 (Belgian Wit). I'll also add the 2.3oz Amarillo dry hop for 5-7 days. Let's see how it comes out.

I'm about to brew this, and did the research. There are quite a few recipes out there including the CYBI one.

I agree on the 3522 but how can you say this recipe is dead on? FD lists the IBU as 60. This recipe claims to be 102, although BS calculates it a little lower. I've had the original quite a few times and the IBU is nowhere near 100. 60 sounds about right, and there must be some dry hopping done to get that in your face aroma.

I intend to brew it along the CYBI lines, but may be adding 1 pound of Carapils and/or mash at 153-154°F and use WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes) instead of WY3944 (Belgian Wit). I'll also add the 2.3oz Amarillo dry hop for 5-7 days. Let's see how it comes out.

Happened to check back on this post.I meant dead on taste wise.Plan on brewing this in four weeks again.

IslandLizard, any update on your version of the Raging B recipe?

The flat sample I took today tastes really good, yet still a bit sweeter than I like. I've let it condition for a month trying to get the FG down a bit more. It was at 1.020 and is now at 1.018. I'm calling it done. I think 1.014 would be more in the ballpark.

I've just started dry hopping this with [EDIT] 1.5oz of Amarillo and .5oz of Columbus in 5 gallons in the keg. I'll be taking "samples" along the way :D

After a few hours the dry hops are very pronounced already, with quite a bit of a bite to them. I hope that will mellow out.

I doubt it's a clone, but definitely yummy.
I should get a six pack and do some more comparative tasting notes, but I really prefer it fresh from the tap. Much better than bottles.

I'll be brewing this again, hopefully closer to the pin. I wonder if using Witbier yeast WY3944 would be the actual ticket. The Belgian Ardennes (WY3522) leaves quite a bit of bubblegum flavor, extra pronounced in the slightly sweet beer. Not sure if it should be there.

Back